Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've scoured the internet for information, and have come up empty handed.

About 5 months ago I purchased a z840 workstation with dual Xeon 14core CPU's and dual Quadro M4000 GPU's, unknown to myself, the machine did not ship with an SLI bridge - and so I have adventured everywhere around Tokyo to try and find one; only coming up with bridges for GTX gaming graphics cards... of which, the local techs have been warning me against buying, explaining that the Quadro bridges are in a league of their own? (And that I may only be able to get them from the manufacturer? Which I haven't been able to find anywhere on the HP website...)

Does anyone have any experience with such things? And or, can anyone help me, by pointing me in the direction of where I can find one of these bridges? I'm dying to connect these bad boys to see what kinda power I can get out of them working tandom!

Thank you in advance for any assistance, or aknowledgement. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Surely HP support should have been able help out with supply of SLI bridge and with getting SLI working on your rig since they are the ones that also sell such workstations. Have you tried calling sales/support?

Anyway, i have no experience with SLI but a quick google search (quadro sli) popped up this link. Reading it will highlight what needs to be done or what conditions need to be met to successfully get SLI working within your workstation.

Also, within the comments of the above link, someone stated a normal GeForce SLI bridge (or any SLI bridge that came with a SLI capable motherboard) should be sufficient for use with the Quadro card, no need to spend $$ on high bandwidth SLI bridges (that can be unicorn rare)..

However, what's of more relevance is whether the workstation software you use will benefit from SLI. From the little i googled, Maya, Cad, SolidWorks, and pretty much every other such 3D modeling software will not see or use SLI. As such, having 2x Quadros in SLI is pretty useless unless you are using software that uses raw CUDA. This link discusses lack of benifit of quadro SLI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Surely HP support should have been able help out with supply of SLI bridge and with getting SLI working on your rig since they are the ones that also sell such workstations. Have you tried calling sales/support?

Anyway, i have no experience with SLI but a quick google search (quadro sli) popped up this link. Reading it will highlight what needs to be done or what conditions need to be met to successfully get SLI working within your workstation.

Also, within the comments of the above link, someone stated a normal GeForce SLI bridge (or any SLI bridge that came with a SLI capable motherboard) should be sufficient for use with the Quadro card, no need to spend $$ on high bandwidth SLI bridges (that can be unicorn rare)..

However, what's of more relevance is whether the workstation software you use will benefit from SLI. From the little i googled, Maya, Cad, SolidWorks, and pretty much every other such 3D modeling software will not see or use SLI. As such, having 2x Quadros in SLI is pretty useless unless you are using software that uses raw CUDA. This link discusses lack of benifit of quadro SLI.

HP Recommended

I feel foolish that I had not come across this article beforehand; maybe I should think about simplifying my search queries more next time.

Thanks a million for the information, and even more so for the time you took to help me out; truly informative.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.