Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hopefully I can get the same question answered via this post.

I have a z820, win 7 pro with 2 xeon 2620 cpu, 64gb 12800 registered  ram, a single ssd drive (which I will want to expand with a couple of other drives) and the 850w psu. 

From what I've read the psu only has two 6pin PCIe connectors, and my 'new' gpu needs two 8 pin (gigabyte gtx 1080 xtreme waterforce) . The gpu comes with a single 6pin to 8pin adapter. From what I've read elsewhere, the psu should be ok with this single card. Its just a matter of how best to get power to it. 

I gather I can use the provided adapter (6 to 8 pci-e) . Can I buy another and use that on the other 6pin out of the psu ? 

Or will I need a to buy a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, and also a dual 4 pin molex to 8pin pci-e for the second Gpu aux. As its a single card and I don't plan on a dual gpu (at this point)  I'm thinking I don't need the 1150w psu. I plan on using the workstation for some vr gaming,and some modelling and rendering in maya (novice) .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Took a bit of digging but found the old notes:

HP 6-pin to 8-pin PCIe supplemental video power supply cable adapter:

Newest version is option part number N1G35AA = 683867-001

There was an earlier 460621-002 version.

The ATX standard for 6-pin PCIe supplemental power cable is 75W (6.25A x 12VDC).

From the side label of a HP Z620 power supply the same type of cable is rated at a significantly higher amperage than 6.25A.  It is rated at 18A....... 18A x 12VDC = 216W.  Thus, you can see that HP non-standard approach allows for certain things that a standard power supply would not.  And, that is why I truly thiink it might be well worth the effort to find real HP ones, or at least to search out a high quality version that is not missing wires.  I don't have a non-HP version to recommend.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Nemooutis wrote:

Hopefully I can get the same question answered via this post.

I have a z820, win 7 pro with 2 xeon 2620 cpu, 64gb 12800 registered  ram, a single ssd drive (which I will want to expand with a couple of other drives) and the 850w psu. 

From what I've read the psu only has two 6pin PCIe connectors, and my 'new' gpu needs two 8 pin (gigabyte gtx 1080 xtreme waterforce) . The gpu comes with a single 6pin to 8pin adapter. From what I've read elsewhere, the psu should be ok with this single card. Its just a matter of how best to get power to it. 

I gather I can use the provided adapter (6 to 8 pci-e) . Can I buy another and use that on the other 6pin out of the psu ? 

Or will I need a to buy a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, and also a dual 4 pin molex to 8pin pci-e for the second Gpu aux. As its a single card and I don't plan on a dual gpu (at this point)  I'm thinking I don't need the 1150w psu. I plan on using the workstation for some vr gaming,and some modelling and rendering in maya (novice) .

The GTX1080 will work fine in your system with the 850W PSU. THe best option would be to connect it using two 6pin to 8 pin adapters.

Just to note, from what I understand the waterforce version of the card has an AIO liquid cooler with a 120mm radiator - have you thought about how you are going to install this in the Z820?

Personally I would go another route - instead of a souped up liquid cooled 1080 get a quality air cooled 1080Ti. There is quite a significant performance difference between the 1080 and 1080Ti and in all honesty with Nvidia it has almost always been the case that it is better to go for a higher model card as opposed to a lower model with bells and whistles attached. 

HP Recommended

Fully agree with MothaJ on this.

One thing to know is that the HP PCIe supplemental power feeds coming out of the HP power supplies are engineered by HP to significantly "above-ATX" standards.

A second thing to know is that there are some very crappy 6-to-8 pin PCIe supplemental power adapters out there, and you need to research this so you don't take the high quality feeds coming out of the HP power supply and cripple them by using a substandard adapter.  The very best are from HP, or built to the same standards.  The HP ones are hard to find.

Added perspective from a prior post  HERE.

Make sure to read that post and the added link, HERE , from within that post. 

I also finally found the HP part numbers for those HP 6-to-8 pin adapters and will post them here in a followup for you within a day.

HP Recommended

Yep, thought about it, but haven't looked inside to decide where. I figured I'd figure out something ... will take a look now. As for the why the 1080 - price mainly, but also because it has the extra 2 hdmi outputs ( handier for a face mounted/optical bay connector panel for the oculus) , and because I don't need the 4k output of the 1080ti quite yet. From other posts I've also read that my  cpu's would be a 'bottleneck' and I wouldn't get the extra performance out of the ti. Being that I can look at upgrading those  (cpu's) in a year or more ( price drop) and then the 1080ti price will have also come downa bit, and if/when I get some 4k monitors etc...

So for now, the 1080 xtreme seemed the best solution. The self contained water cooling solution for the gpu seemed the easiest to setup at this point(not vs windforce, but as in a larger watercoooling system for the cpus etc), although I understand mounting that radiator will probably be a hassle.

Ok,so I should find a pair of the hp 6 to 8 pin adapters (for consistency)  and that will be ok.  Many thanks. 

HP Recommended

Much appreciated ! I've tried to work out the whole 12v rail, amp draw, various adapters, molex  etc etc and have to admit that it ended up confusing me, so I ended up posting here. Thanks for the links too. I had read the psu output was higher than atx standard, and hence would be able to handle the load of the gpu, but wasn't sure about which type of connector would be the best way to go.  

I had a quick  look for those hp adapters (N1G35AA  ?) and as you say they aren't easy to find ( mostn online stores in australia were out of stock). If I can't source them, is there another brand you'd recommend ?

HP Recommended

your question has been asked several times allready on this forum within the past 20 days,

with the question being answered. please take the time to search this forum and you will have your answer

HP Recommended

Perhaps it has been asked , and I have looked at most of those, but most were variations upon the system I have, and being that sometimes those variations do make a difference,  and that I didn't completely understand some of the answers, I thought it best to ask. 

HP Recommended

@Nemooutis wrote:

Yep, thought about it, but haven't looked inside to decide where. I figured I'd figure out something ... will take a look now. As for the why the 1080 - price mainly, but also because it has the extra 2 hdmi outputs ( handier for a face mounted/optical bay connector panel for the oculus) , and because I don't need the 4k output of the 1080ti quite yet. From other posts I've also read that my  cpu's would be a 'bottleneck' and I wouldn't get the extra performance out of the ti. Being that I can look at upgrading those  (cpu's) in a year or more ( price drop) and then the 1080ti price will have also come downa bit, and if/when I get some 4k monitors etc...

So for now, the 1080 xtreme seemed the best solution. The self contained water cooling solution for the gpu seemed the easiest to setup at this point(not vs windforce, but as in a larger watercoooling system for the cpus etc), although I understand mounting that radiator will probably be a hassle.

Ok,so I should find a pair of the hp 6 to 8 pin adapters (for consistency)  and that will be ok.  Many thanks. 

Looking at the Z820 internals, I do not think it will be espacially easy to install that radiator in the machine - there are no dedicated 120mm mounting points and also bear in mind that you will be limited by the length of the hoses as to where you can position the radiator. In general I am not a big fan of AIO style units - the pumps are usually noiser and of lower quality as compared to open loop cooling solutions are should the unit develop a leak there is no easy way to top it up and bleed the air out. Worst case scenario, if this happens after warranty, you could be left with an expensive card with no cooling.

As for the 6 to 8 pin adapters, you can use HP ones (but from what I understand these are hard to find) or any other quality ones (i.e. ones packaged in with video cards from reputable manufactures - Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA etc.). The extra 2 pins on the 8 pins conncetor vs 6 pin are only grounding pins anyway to 'tell' the card that the power supply is capable of delivering the required power.

HP Recommended

while you can run the 1080 video card in a z8x0 system , there are several items

(which have been covered by previous requests)

1. what is "YOUR" system configuration? this will determine if you require a  upgraded1150 watt power supply or can use  the  stock power supply. systems that have all ram banks filled 4 internal hard Drives, 130 watt dual cpu's and several pci-e cards WILL REQUIRE THE UPGRADED 1150 WATT SUPPLY

2. what is the power draw of your video card?  the 1080 is available in two wattages, with the lower 150watt card

using a single 8 pin pwr connector and the higher performance cards using 2 8 pin pwr jacks with 250+ watt draw

people who blindly state that the stock 850 watt supply is all that you need, are basing this on a consumer single cpu

motherboard and have no idea just how much wattage the base z820 will draw (depending on configuration)

the z820  with a 850 watt supply + 150 watt 1080  "should" work on a single  low wattage (80 watts or less) cpu with only 8 sticks of ram and one Hard drive increasing the power draw might overload a power rail, causing the power supply to fail

the z820 supply is not a single rail supply, it is easy to overload a rail (such as  a12 volt one) and still be under 850 watts total this is why you need to determine what is in your system and then check that adding 150 watts more on the 12v line(s) will not exceed the rail amperage and also the total combined wattage of all power drawing items

the 1150 watt supply will power a 150 watt 1080 using  two130 watt cpu's multiple drives with max ram and still be in spec

HP Recommended

I had been wondering about getting the higher powered psu , which here in in australia (240v), will generate 1275 watts . I can get one secondhand for $250 (au). 

Mate, I really appreciate the time you took and the really useful advice. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.