DW88
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

ISSUE INSTALLING WINDOWS 7 PRO 32-BIT ON HP Z440 WORKSTATION

HP Recommended
HP Z440
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, i have purchase a HP Z440 which come with Win 7 Pro 64-bit. However i need a 32-bit instead due to one

of my application can only run on 32-bit. Have obtain a Window 7 Pro 32-bit DVD with the product activation

key to try installing on the Z440. However i have this error message " This 32-bit version of Windwscannot be

installed to an EFI-based computer. Installation cannot proceed. Use a 64-bit version of Windows to install

on EFI-based computer"

How can i solve this issue to get it install using the Windows 7 Pro 32-bit.

Your advise and assistance is much apprecaited.

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 559 29 240
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

32 bit is not supported on these systems. EFI limitation.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824898.aspx

"While in UEFI mode, the Windows version must match the PC architecture. A 64-bit UEFI PC can only boot 64-bit versions of Windows. A 32-bit PC can only boot 32-bit versions of Windows. In some cases, while in legacy BIOS mode, you may be able to run 32-bit Windows on a 64-bit PC, assuming the manufacturer supports 32-bit legacy BIOS mode on the PC"

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
DW88
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi iMaxx

Thanks for your reply.  However according to the HP support team, this particular model do

support 32-bit. Is it  possible to disable the UEFI or EFI mode, or is there any way to go

around it. Thanks

Skylarking
Level 6
382 364 22 69
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DW88, keeping in mind that any 64 bit Windows OS does indeed support 32 bit software.

So have you tried simply installing your 32 bit software on the 64 bit Windows OS that came with your machine?

If you did try and there was some installation issue, maybe you're using an old 23 bit application designed for windows XP which is not compatable with the Windows 7 driver model. However, you could try installing in XP compatability mode but i suspect you may still have driver issues. If this is the case, then your problem may or may not be resolved by installing a 32 bit Windows OS. But, it's all guesses on my part as you haven't been very clear on what your actual problem is.

By clear, for example, i mean saying something along the line of: "my applicatios 'name xyz' uses a hardware dongle (some details) requiring a driver which is certified for Windows XP 32 bit. The manufacturers do not provide an updated driver for Windows 7 64 bit and the applciation installes with warnings but does not run due to not being able to find the security dongle...... Will 32 bit Windows 7 solve this issue?".

As such, it's best to be clear about the actual problem you are having (which to me seems related to the application you are trying to install more than the bit version of the OS). So, if you haven't wiped the original OS, it could be best to try and install your application and then rephrase the problem you may have around the application error messages you get.  

As for UEFI firmware, you can't disable it as such as it is needed to run the low level hardware stuff. However, there should be a BIOS compatability mode that the UEFI firmware will secure boot into. This compatability mode mimics the good ol' BIOS and can be called many things within the firmware. It's somewhere within the system firmware settings. and may be a little obscure to find and somewhat convoluted to set...

But if you still want to install a 32 bit OS, keep in mind that you will need appropriate 32 bit drivers for the hardware components of your machine. Luckily HP provides 32 bit drivers so the support bod on the phone was correct in that a 32 bit OS is supported. As this is the case, the support bod should have been able to point you to some installation page for the 32 bit OS (which does not support secure boot so should outline how to set up BIOS compatability mode). Seems he only did 1/2 his job 😞

DW88
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Skylarking

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct on this.

"my applicatios 'name xyz' uses a hardware dongle (some details) requiring a driver which is certified for Windows XP 32 bit. The manufacturers do not provide an updated driver for Windows 7 64 bit and the applciation installes with warnings but does not run due to not being able to find the security dongle...... Will 32 bit Windows 7 solve this issue?".

Yes, we have try the install the dongle and application on another PC with Win 7 Pro 32-bit and it works BUT not

on a PC with Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Have spoken to the Microsoft plp and download the "latest" Windows 7 Pro 32-bit OS from their website.

Try installing it but the same error message "32-bit version of Windows cannot be installed to an EFI-based 

computer" 

Have try disable EFI from the bios setup & install the Windows 7 Pro 32-bit OS , the above error message does

not appear but it could not detect the hard disk and mention driver required. I need to check further on this

now.

Thanks

Skylarking
Level 6
382 364 22 69
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The root cause of your problem seems to be that the supplier of your software hasn't provided Win7-x64 drivers for your dongle to work. I'd look towards your supplier for updated drivers/patches, etc.

I will again state you can't disable EFI/UEFI for the very reason system firmware can't be disabled. It's simply the wrong terminology and OEM's haven't helped by using incorrect phrasing within the various convoluted setup screens within their system firmware...

What you are actually doing is disabling "secure boot" and enabling "BIOS compatability mode". It's a little pedantic on my part but it is wrong terminology to say you are disabling EFI nevertheless. However, i do understand what you mean...  :)'

Anyway, after disabling secure boot and enabling compatability mode, the reason you can't see any hard drive partition to install your OS is because the install disk does not contain the drivers needed to understand the Intel Storage chipset on the motherboard that your HDD are connected to. What you need to do is save the required driver on a FAT32 formated USB thumb drive and press F6 during the install process when prompted. Then you can point to the missing driver and the install process should continue its mery way.

The actual driver you need is within this iRST driver but you have to unpack the HP service pack exectable. However, i prefer to use 7-zip to open the archive and look inside the HP service pack rather than running it since i can extract what i want on another PC without worry about 'runing it' and buggers something up. 

So from "sp70856.exe" you will need the contents of either "RSTe_f6_iaStorA_win7_32" for SATA/AHCI RAID or "RSTe_f6_iaStorS_win7_32" for SCU RAID which you extract and saved to the FAT32 formated USB thumb drive which you later point to during OS install via pressing F6 when prompted.

You may ned to determine which is more appropriate for you, SATA or SCU.

Also note that you should not have your keyboard and mouse plugged into any USB3 port since your Windows 7 OS install disk will not have the required drivers and as a result, part way through the install you loose keyboard and mouse input. Use USB2 or create a disk with USB3 drivers inserted (google can help)... 

Once OS is installed, then install all the other required drivers available from the Z440 Win7 X86 download page.

End choice is yours... Hassle your supplier for a fix to allow install of their s/w on Win7X64 or reinstall Win7_X86 and then install their s/w...

Good luck.

DW88
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Skylarking. Appreciate your suggestion but i don't seem to have much choice to

get it on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Hve try on most of the driver which comes with the PC in the

Driver Recovery DVD but no luck. Will try on your suggestion and hope it works. Once again

thank you for your help.  

DW88
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Skylarking

Great & thank you for your advice on installing the Intel Storage chipset driver.

It recognise the hard disk and i need to convert the hard disk from GPT to MBR

before Windows 7 Pro 32-bit can be install.  Have also install most of the major

drivers (NIC,   Graphic, Audio, Bios, Controller, Chipset).  So far, it's running fine

and hope it does not give any more problem.

Once again thanks for your assistance & wish you all the best in your future,  

Skylarking
Level 6
382 364 22 69
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, in my last post i forgot to mention you needed a MBR based HDD partitioning scheme but glad you worked it out in the end.

So good luck with your z440 going forward and may your Win7 x86 OS and applications be trouble free 🙂

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation