Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I have a HP Z840, th eOS failed and it turns out so did my Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

So while htey are reinitializing the whole machine, I'd like to install a new SSD.  

Samsung's 9 series M.2 drives have substantially better Read/Write performance than the same dives in SATA, but the Z840 motherboard does not support M.2 drives directly.

Silverstone makes a pretty high quality (heat sinked, yada, yada...see https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=831) M.2 to PCIe adapter, which defintiely supports a 1 TB Samsung 970 Pro SSD. 

Off hand, it seems like that configuration SHOULD work, however I am not sure what I don't know that might thwart this idea.

I would really prefer the M.2. drive, it costs about the same TB for TB as the SATA, and R/W speed's about 6 times as fast - which, since I do a bunch of R/W intensive 4K video rendering, is HUGE.

Does anyone know if (or any reason why not) my Z840 will work with a M.2 to PCIe adapter like the one described?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

what most people don't know about ssd's is that TLC and later ssd's achieve their sequential R/W speeds by having a "buffer of emulated SLC to write to,  this buffer is then xfered to the TLC during periods of drive unuse

if you exceed this buffer, the ssd xfer speeds can plummet to mech hard drive speeds which is not what you want during video work!!

Older MLC based drives (or newer ones using MCL nand) will not have this issue the samsung 850 pro is a MLC nand based ssd and due to this maintains the ssd write speed no matter how big the file is

samsung drives are usually TLC for the EVO line and MLC for the "pro" suffix models

so you're 970 pro is a MLC nand based ssd and will work fine for video work using the m.2 pci-e adapter

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.