Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
X2D66UT/#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a new Z440 that was delivered with a HDD as the Win 7 x64 Pro SP1 boot drive.  I want to add a Turbo Z G2 SSD as the Win 7 boot drive.  Can I accomplish this using the Win7 Pro x64 DVD and the drivers DVD delivered with my system?

From the sparse info available on the forums, it looks like I might be able to install the Turbo Z G2 SSD, boot from the Win 7 HDD, format the Turbo Z G2 SSD, remove the HDD from the system, boot from the Win 7 DVD, and install Windows 7 onto the Turbo Z G2 SSD.

I don't see that this scenario is conclusively covered by any of the how to or user guides or forum topics.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

HI,

Your posted information lacks information about the Turbo Z G2 SSD form factor.  I don't see a m.2 slot on the Z 440 so that rules that out.

Please review this manual.

Don't expect to see much information on how to get NVMe PCIe SSDs to boot with W7 if that is your intention.  The above referenced manual does mention a Microsoft QFE for NVMe devices. Perhaps HP has posted a driver.

If you can get the right driver and BIOS update then you have a couple of implementation options.

1. Install the driver on your current W7 sp1 system and try to clone it to the new SSD.

2. Remove the existing hard drives and try a fresh W7 installation and use the inject driver F6 method and then do a custom install process and see if W7 recognizes the device.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info Dave.

Well, there is an advisory on how to do it, document   c05040446.

It's not clear that this advisory still applies to recently delivered Z440's, as the one I just received has newly updated BIOS and drivers, and some of the updates appear to be related to PCIe SSD support.

The Z440 is available with a Z Turbo G2 PCIe SSD installed and serving as the Win 7 Pro x64 boot device, so it can be done, I'm just not certain that the delivered DVD's will do it without doing the whole USB installation procedure cited in c05040446.

The forum posts are all over the place - someone says they did it the way I described, another says it didn't work.  I have to think the USB procedure HP describes works as well, though some on the forum say it did not work for them.

I've asked HP about it twice now, they seem unable to answer despite the "complimentary support" that comes with the Z440.    The sales support tech I first dealt with when buying the workstation was not well informed and was unable to answer simple questions like, "does the Z440 come with Windows 7 x64 installation DVDs" (it does) and "does the Z440 include a NIC?" (it comes with one on the MB), and "does the Z440 come with the front edge guide / coolong fan?" (it does). 

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Interesting advisory.  I would add that use the USB 2 ports on the back when doing the installation.  The installation would probably hang using USB 3 depending BIOS CSM settings. Some BIOSs will allow the delay of USB 3 support until after the OS loads which is what you want with W7 if you are using USB 3 devices. Some of the HP laptops have this type of support as do many third party custom motherboards.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Your posted information lacks information about the Turbo Z G2 SSD form factor.  I don't see a m.2 slot on the Z 440 so that rules that out.

The Z Turbo G2 is a PCIe card, so no m.2 slot on the Z440/Z640/Z840 is needed. A quick Goole search gave all info needed. 😉

hpzdriveg2.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks, however I knew that.  The image you've posted is not the correct Turbo Z G2 card for the Z440 by the way, that's the one for the Z240.  The Turbo Z G2 that goes in the Z440 has a heatsink on it.

HP's getting a premium for hosting a Samsung M.2 NVMe card onto a PCIe card - about $250 above the cost of the NVMe board it looks like to me.  You'd think they'd be eager to let consumers know how to install it as a boot drive.

But apparently not ... I haven't heard a peep out of my "complimentary" tech support that came with my pricey Z440, despite asking twice now.

HP Recommended

Menchar, my reply was not to you, it was to Big_Dave who seemed to not know what the Z Turbo is. I quoted him in my post.

HP Recommended

@Z440Roger

You are totally wrong on almost everything.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.