Did you mean: 
digantapathak
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Installation of New Ram

HP Recommended
F5W13AV

HI I have a Z440 workstation with CPU E5-1607 v4 @ 3.10GHz and two  4 GB RAM .  I have bought one one Zion 8GB RAM with matching frequency and try to install it. But it is not working? Now what to do?

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Technoxious
3 3 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just to be sure, double check the specs for memory

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04400038.pdf

Have you tried inserting the dimm in a different slot?  I'm assuming the slots that held the original 4GB DIMMs are working, does the new DIMM work in either of those?  When you go into the bios does the  8 GB DIMM show up?  Sometimes you have to really push down hard to get the dimm to seat properly; you may also want to make sure the copper contacts on the dimm are clean, they should be shiny.  Be careful handling the DIMM, they are sensitive to static discharge. Follow precautions against static discharge.  And lastly see if the dimm works in another computer.  I think it's unlikely the motherboard has a bad dimm slot but you never know.  Hope this helps

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
DGroves
Level 11
4,697 4,671 442 993
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IF YOU READ THE hp QUICKSPECS, OR SERVICE MANUAL, or read the side door information, all of the them will tell you that ECC registered memory is required for more than 32gig, and ECC ram unregistered ram for under 32gig furthermore the ecc registered module "Rank" must match  the current memory you have.

you can not mix registered/unregistered ram

ram must be installed in pairs 2/4/6/8 you can not run just 3 modules either add one or remove one

check the label on the ram you have and you will see a line like this  rank 2x8 or 4x8 ECC Registered

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04400038.pdf

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation