Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,
I am offered to buy the z620 workstation on the 2690 processor with the ability to install the riser afterwards - this is a used workstation - I wonder if there might be some issues with the riser itself later on (also used, but HP produced).,.... I mean can a working 2-CPU setup with the riser be potentially more risky (prone to errors or failures) (for constant high load operations - if compared to a simple 2-CPU mothberboard like in z820? Or if the riser works, it will work for centuries to come?)
Dima

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi,

Greetings for the day!!!

It should work fine. Kindly ensure

• That the Riser Card Part No# is 689471-001.
  • The second processor must be the same as the first.

Kindly refer to z620 Quick Specs and Maintenance and Service Guide for installation and Memory Configuration.

Thank you,

Suvadeep Dutta

I am a HP employee
HP Recommended

just to put things in proper perspective, neither board is "simple" the z620 board has more Layers than the z820 board which allows HP to make the motherboard smaller, the z620 is  perhaps a bit more complex mechanically to install due to the riser slot

the z820 motherboard is  just as complex electronically and mechanically due to more parts on the board such as more pci-e slots, more SATA ports, a onboard LSI SAS/SATA controller and it's ports. But due to it's larger size the motherboard has less layers so i would say both come out about the same

neither board is prone to failure, but this assumes the z620 riser slot is being removed/installed by people who know what they are doing

some z620 users have bought bad riser cards, which can damage the main board/cpu, others have installed the riser board improperly causing various issues.

once the riser board is installed correctly it should work for the life of the system and be just as reliable as any other system

HP Recommended

Thank you for your very specific reply with the part numbe r- will double check with the seller if this is the correct part number....I didi nto see the e5-2690 CPU in the quick specs file - I wonder if this is the fastest DUAL CPU setup for the z620 workstation available?

HP Recommended

that was very interesting to read Dgroves - I wonder what do you think of the transporation risk for a z620 which has the riser installed already (it will be travelling via local car delivery in the trucks) - does it sit as tight as the processor on the motherboard - the person who will be installing is dealing with workstations professionally.

HP Recommended

the riser card once installed, can be shipped without issues

if your card is installed, and does not have a CPU or RAM leave it and boot the system, the riser card can be left in without issues and will also let you know the riser card does not have any major issues (HP does ship them this way)

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please find attached z620 Quick Specs. 

Refer Page 3 for Available Processor options. E-2690 is the 5th option in the list.
Also refer to Page 23 and 24 for probable configuation option with dual E-2690 processors.

Thank you,

Suvadeep Dutta

I am a HP employee
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your kind reply - as a matter of fact I only see second version of 2690 in the list:

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690 v2 10C 3.00GHz

can x620 workstation work with the first generation of these processors and will it be the maximum possible cpu configuration for this setup? (dual E5-2690 v1)

Dima

HP Recommended

Hi Dima,

Z620 does not support dual Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690 v1.

For dual CPU configuaration please follow/use the available processor list as mentioned in the Quick Specs.

Please revert for clarification.

Thank you,

Suvadeep Dutta

I am a HP employee
HP Recommended

This person is referring to z620 version  1 - can it support dual 2690v1? or it only supports dual 2680v1?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.