Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi Dima,

May I know the Serial Numebr of the Z620 Workstation please.

Thank you,

Suvadeep Dutta

I am a HP employee
HP Recommended

why would you need the systems serial number? without a valid reasion i would be reluctant to provide it

HP Recommended

Hi,

As per the latest specs and guides, 2690v1 or 2680v1 are not listed among the available processors.

From Serial Number, I can check how old the unit is and if it supported these cards at the time the unit was sold referring to previous versions of Quick Specs and Guides.

I will strictly follow the Quick Specs and if these CPUs are not listed, that means it is not supported/tested.

Thank you,

Suvadeep Dutta

I am a HP employee
HP Recommended

can you please find the specs for the z620v1 to see if ti supports dual 2680v1 or 2690v1?

HP Recommended

You can run one or two of those two processors in either the Z620 v1 or the Z620 v2.  Here is the Z620 v1 first QuickSpec:

https://s4u.com.ua/assets/files/hp-z620.pdf

HP has not taken away use of any of the listed processors from all I have seen, and v1 processors also work in v2 Z620s.  A processor has to have dual QPI links to run two of them, and both do.

HP Recommended

Hi Dima,

SDH has shared the Z620 v1 Quickspecs and has answered your query.

Thank you,

Suvadeep Dutta

I am a HP employee
HP Recommended

sweet - I see now that the Z620 Xeon E5-2690 processor is acccepted.....

I have two more quick quesations -:

1) Dual CPU 2690 will be the fastest available processor combination for z620v1?

2) Do you think e5-2680 CAN BE BETTER THAN CPU 2690 in terms of extended persistent mathematical calculations??? like going non stop for 10 hours at 99% core speed? I ask this because maximum accepetabel temperature of CPU 2690 (72C) is lower than 2680 (85C)

https://ark.intel.com/compare/64583,64596

HP Recommended

The most expensive ones are always better, especially if they have red and gold stripes.

And, it is your heatsink/fan's job to keep the temps down.  Just raise the RPMs of your fan via BIOS during those long runs.  You can see the temps via the free HWMonitor utility from cpuid.com.

HP Recommended

yes I can change the fan setting -- btu fundamental quetion is if the duffrenece of maximum allowed temperature in 13C is critical for massive long-term cpu burning caluclation runs?

and with 85C is it meant to work in large server racks - not workstations?

HP Recommended

The answer to both of your questions is no.

However, please note that you may wish to research upgrading your current v1 motherboard to a v2 Z620 motherboard, which would get you the ability to run a whole new generation of processors, and even run a faster generation of memory.  And, think of all the processors in the v2 QuickSpecs that you can research and search for good deals on.

I recently did this and the difference is remarkable.  It is almost as fast as our Z640 workstations.  I happened to find a brand new unused v2 Z620 motherboard and had the opportunity to learn about how to "tattoo" or "brand" the motherboard so it could use all the special codes on the labels on the original workstation.

I've got a new project going.... signing off.  Have fun.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.