Fraudfinder
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Management Engine Firmware update doesn't update

HP Z230
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP auto updater tells me I need to update to the new Intel firmware.  It goes through all stages, inlcluding the system restore stage, downloads the update and then stops with an error message that it can't install the update.  I haven't got anything except antivirus running in the background and can't find a way round it.  Next time the updater is on it asks me to install again but if I click on the install it repeats the same sequence and stops with the same error message.

Help!

2 REPLIES 2
Level 19
Level 19
78,199 78,099 9,624 20,801
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Fraudfinder

Does it say which version ? Please manually download and install the latest version from its support page

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78501-79000/sp78890.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Skylarking
Level 6
382 369 22 61
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IIRC, ME firmware depends on motherboard chipset and CPU installed. As such, trying to install ME v9 when chipset/cpu only supports ME v8 could be problematic and may fail, possible fail silently.

Then there is the issue that BIOS can't be updated from a very old version directly to latest as some upgrade steps are sometimes needed, usually at points where downgrading is no longer possible. Possibly, such issues may also exist for ME firmware updates. 

What i would suggest is to read the BIOS and ME firmware release documentation for all version released on the HP support page for z230. I'd pay particular attention to fixes, system requirements/dependencies and install instructions.

Reading the above, you may find it is better/safer to un-provision ME before updating BIOS in stages to the latest version available. Then update to the latest ME firmware available (if appropriate for the chipset/cpu you have)*. Then re-provision ME as desired.

The ME firmware download contains a tool to check ME status which can be useful.

Note that there are a number of vulnerabilities in BIOS and ME that are resolved with the various updates so it's worth getting on to the latest (which seems not to be sp78890.exe as linked in the post above)

Cheers.

*this is relevant for z210 but maybe this is not relevant for z230 so read the docs

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation