BigDigital
4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Intermittent issue with output to screen at boot on brand new Z840 workstation

HP Recommended
Z840 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer booted up the first 10 times since I received it brand new.  It has a M4000 Video card with 4 display ports.  I have it connected with a Displayport to miniDP to a Dell U2718Q UHD monitor.  Sudendly, upon reboot the dell has no visable signal and there is no POST screen HP logo.  Howeverr, the Dell monitor does recogzine that there is a signal because it does not go into power saving mode.  The PC just sits there with a black screen indefinately and you cannot see anything.  ESC at boot does nothing. 

Tried rebooting, unplugging and rebooting, reseeding the cable connections, all nothing.

Tried a different (samsung) monitor that only has DVI.  I used a DP to DVI adapter.  Put it in DP slot 2, Violla!  I have the bost screen.  To I hit escape and go into the bios.  Nothing strange there.  So I reboot, and I'm back to the same problem.

I tried using the DVI monitor connected to other DP ports on the M4000, mostly without success.  I tried yet another monitor, and nothing.

I removed the Video card and replaced it with a working card from another machine.  But I got  3 loud beeps and the computer would not boot.  So the workstation did not like the card.

I put the M4000 card back in.  Rebooted and I got the post screen again and Windows boot.  I rebooted, again fine.

Next, I added the Dell DP monitor back into the mix and it works fine again.  The system works with two monitors simultaneously.

Next, I update the BIOS to the latest version.  BIOS flash was successful.

I ran the "quick" BIOS system test which take an hour.  I found no errors.

No issues since after about 4 reboots.  But I'm VERY concerned the my very expensive workstation has a significant problem with the Motherboard and or expensive Video card. 

-------

As a side note, is there a way of showing the Post messages during the BIOS boot instead of the HP logo so that I can see what happens when / if it fails in Post?

--------

And when I tried to create an account after registering my workstation, the web form gave me the following error about my @gmail e-mail address and any other e-mail address I tried.  "Application does not belongs to any company"

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation