Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to buy a 8T Internal SSD and was looking for advice on which ones are compatible with my system.  I already have a SSD for a boot drive so this one would be an additional one.  Which brings me to my second question, does the  HP Z4 G4 Workstation have an additional slot for a second SSD drive.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, as these drives are very expensive and have read some horror stories of them failing because of compatibility issues. 

Thank You...

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

due to the extremely high cost involved with a 8TB SSD, i strongly recommend you actually talk to a authorised HP rep or the maker of the ssd you are interested in using. and confirm the seller will take a return if the product is unsuitable for your usage

almost none of the forum users here are really qualified in vetting hardware compatibility  on SSD's in this size/price range as they are datacenter type devices not consumer/workstation products

HP Recommended

@Morso71 wrote:

I want to buy a 8T Internal SSD and was looking for advice on which ones are compatible with my system.  I already have a SSD for a boot drive so this one would be an additional one.  Which brings me to my second question, does the  HP Z4 G4 Workstation have an additional slot for a second SSD drive.

I bought a 7.68TB Micron 5300 Pro SATA III-SSD slmost a year ago and put it into my Z4 G4 and it works without problems. Now you can buy 8TB Samsung disk as well. Both are 2.5'' SATA SSD´s. I have never heard of SSD disks that are incompatible with any systems. If a disk fails it´s most likely the disk itself that fails and that the user failed to have any backup to fall back on. Those horror stories are well known.

In the Z4 G4 you have 6xSATA III ports so if you use one SATA SSD today you have five additional SATA III ports.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.