Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z8 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have several HP Z8 G4 workstations.

There are two onboard nic's:

1. Intel(R) Ethernet Connection X722 for 1GbE

2. Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-LM

On all computers I tested a VPN client.

The VPN will not work on nic 1 but works fine on nic 2.

Is there any explanation for that?

Should I set some advanced properties?
It's happening during negotiation on the way back.

nicprops1.PNGnicprops2.PNG

thanks so much

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Intel Ethernet Connection X722 is a "embedded" network controller that is integrated into the chipset, it's a basic network controller that follows the industry specs quite closely

so either your VPN application is not coded correctly, or it wants a specific feature that the embedded lan chip does not provide or is not enabled in it's default state

you would be best served by posting your question to the maker of your VPN application

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

of course there is, that's why they have different model numbers because each nic has a slightly different feature set

do the differences affect you? that depends on what your needs/use of the nics is

if you just use them to connect to a network, then no both ports will perform the same

want to remote in when the system is on/off? then you betcha there is a difference between the two ports

there are other scenarios like the above but I'm not going to list them, you want to know more? then read the documentation HP provides for your system

and last since you don't specify which VPN program on which nic is giving what error, how do you expect a useful answer on your question?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Different feature set, ok understood.

I've used Intel's X722 for over a year but recently found out that the vpn client Shrew (www.shrew.net) won't work on the X722 but does work on the I219-LM. Same behaviour on three different computers.

Documentation: It did read it together with HP support. Indeed the motherboard has two different Nic types.

Probably the X722 can be used when the computer acts as a router.

There is actually no good HP documentation on this subject.

The question remains if this is a setting issue or something else.

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

The Intel Ethernet Connection X722 is a "embedded" network controller that is integrated into the chipset, it's a basic network controller that follows the industry specs quite closely

so either your VPN application is not coded correctly, or it wants a specific feature that the embedded lan chip does not provide or is not enabled in it's default state

you would be best served by posting your question to the maker of your VPN application

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.