Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Workstation z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi new here and asking for some help or advice please - I have just aquired an HP Z600 workstation and would like to update the bios to the latest version - have looked on HP website and cannot find download. 

the current ver is 786g4 ver 03.13 18/10/2010

is anyone able to point me to a more recent version

download link

many thanks Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Ray:

You can find the latest BIOS update on the W7 driver page for your PC.

v3.60 Rev.A    Apr 14, 2016

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z600-workstation/3718663/model/3718664

I see that your PC is running W10, so I would strongly advise against updating the BIOS using the Windows based flash method.

Here is what I would do...

Download and run the BIOS file (sp75718).

An information page will open.

Read and follow the instructions under this section...

F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Workstation system supported by this Softpaq provides a BIOS upgrade option through F10 setup using the “Flash System ROM” feature.  Reboot the PC and press F10 to enter setup.  In the File menu, select the “Flash System ROM” item.  This flash utility will present the user with the option to select the media containing the BIOS image file (XXX_MMmm.bin).  The binary image file is contained in the DOS Flash directory and is named XXX_MMmm.bin where "XXX" is the abbreviated BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  F10 ROM based flash can accept the binary file from the root directory of any removable media such as USB or CD. On the Z800, Z600, and Z400 platforms the floppy diskette is no longer supported as a BIOS flash device as the ROM image is too large to fit on the floppy disks.  The BIOS CD Media file, included in this Softpaq, should be used to create a BIOS image CD.  When flashing with F10 ROM based flash, the CD media must be El-Torito compatible.  The user is prompted when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is rebooted.

When you click on the View Contents of DOS Flash Folder, you will get the BIOS files you need.

Here is an easy way to update the BIOS...I use this method all the time on my HP business desktops.

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT 32 file system.

Copy the file contents of the DOS flash folder from the BIOS file you downloaded to the flash drive.

Restart the PC and tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get access to the menu of options.

Select the F10 system setup menu and hit the enter key.

Select the File menu>Flash System ROM command.

Then select the USB flash drive.

The PC should 'see' the BIOS update files on the flash drive.

Follow the onscreen instructions to update the BIOS.

By using this method, it does not matter what operating system you are running.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi, Ray:

You can find the latest BIOS update on the W7 driver page for your PC.

v3.60 Rev.A    Apr 14, 2016

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z600-workstation/3718663/model/3718664

I see that your PC is running W10, so I would strongly advise against updating the BIOS using the Windows based flash method.

Here is what I would do...

Download and run the BIOS file (sp75718).

An information page will open.

Read and follow the instructions under this section...

F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Workstation system supported by this Softpaq provides a BIOS upgrade option through F10 setup using the “Flash System ROM” feature.  Reboot the PC and press F10 to enter setup.  In the File menu, select the “Flash System ROM” item.  This flash utility will present the user with the option to select the media containing the BIOS image file (XXX_MMmm.bin).  The binary image file is contained in the DOS Flash directory and is named XXX_MMmm.bin where "XXX" is the abbreviated BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  F10 ROM based flash can accept the binary file from the root directory of any removable media such as USB or CD. On the Z800, Z600, and Z400 platforms the floppy diskette is no longer supported as a BIOS flash device as the ROM image is too large to fit on the floppy disks.  The BIOS CD Media file, included in this Softpaq, should be used to create a BIOS image CD.  When flashing with F10 ROM based flash, the CD media must be El-Torito compatible.  The user is prompted when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is rebooted.

When you click on the View Contents of DOS Flash Folder, you will get the BIOS files you need.

Here is an easy way to update the BIOS...I use this method all the time on my HP business desktops.

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT 32 file system.

Copy the file contents of the DOS flash folder from the BIOS file you downloaded to the flash drive.

Restart the PC and tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get access to the menu of options.

Select the F10 system setup menu and hit the enter key.

Select the File menu>Flash System ROM command.

Then select the USB flash drive.

The PC should 'see' the BIOS update files on the flash drive.

Follow the onscreen instructions to update the BIOS.

By using this method, it does not matter what operating system you are running.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul - very many thanks for that info all done and its working fine with the updated bios  - I opted for the method that you use and it was quite easy - may I ask if this is the same way that you would update the bios on an HP Z400 running win10 thanks so much paul.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If the z400 has the same type DOS flash file folder, and a flash system ROM command in the BIOS's file menu, then yes, you can do the same thing.

HP Recommended

Yes Paul that worked as well many thank again have a happy day regards

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, the F10 "Flash system ROM" procedure didn't worked for my Z600, it said that the USB or CD media did not contain the files...

So here how I solve it for me:

1. downloaded RUFUS tool https://rufus.akeo.ie/

2. I've created a USB DOS bootable stick following this tutorial : https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Creating_a_Bootable_DOS_USB_Stick

3. downloaded the Linux BIOS file version from here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z600-workstation/3718663/model/3718664

4. Extracted the contents of the sp75719.tgz using 7-zip from here http://www.7-zip.org/

5. copy the directory DOS-Flash onto the USB stick

6. booted my Z600 from the USB stick

7. typed the command: cd DOS_FL~1

8. lauched the flashing utility FLASHBIN.exe

9. reboothed my Z600 when flashing was done 🙂

HP Recommended

Добрый день. Не получается с флешки установить биос. Если есть возможность напишите пожалуйста мне на почту чтобы помочь в установке. Почта 

HP Recommended

@veter

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Forum. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To ensure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Forum.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: 惠普个人客户支持论坛
Korean: HP 지식커뮤니티

Thank you for your understanding.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.