Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Z240 Mini Tower
2TF25UT#ABA
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz
16.00 GB
256GB pcie drive

HP System info says:
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

All HP stuff updated prior - I use the HP Image Assistant.

So I ran windows10 update this morning. It installed '9 quality' updates for Windows 10 version 1803. Then failed to install 2 'feature' updates for Windows 10 version 1809 with an error code of 0xc1900101. It hung at 70%.

I powered the Z240 off and was lucky that it rebooted saying it was rolling back the updates; or something like that and booted into Win10. I then launched gpedit.msc and disabled automatic updates.

So now what do I do? Any idea why it would hang? HP or Microsoft to "blame" Searching MSoft forums it does seem this issue dates way back. but it's the frist time ive experienced it on this machine.

2 REPLIES 2
DGroves
Level 11
4,701 4,675 443 994
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you can retry the update and see if that works on the second attempt and if not try the steps below (which i copied from another forum as i hate inventing the wheel)

original posters link:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/109248-error-0xc1900101-during-2018-feature-upd...

The error code 0xC1900101 is very common and indicates that a rollback occurred. Most often this is due to a driver but there are many other causes.

When upgrades are performed they can be done with the upgrade assistant or with a Windows 10 iso. Using a Windows 10 iso will create another error code which is the extend code. This information can help narrow down the underlying problem.

Run through this upgrade check list.

UPGRADE CHECK LIST:
Run through this check list before the next upgrade attempt:

1) remove nonessential hardware
docks
USB devices
printers
headset
speakers
bluetoot devices
USB drives (other than a windows 10 iso if used for the upgrade)
USB Wireless Mouse or Keyboard Receiver, USB Wireless Network Card,

2) These should be the only attached devices:
wired mouse
wired keyboard
monitor

Any of these that have been done in the past week are not necessary to repeat:

3) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste: (repair file system)
chkdsk /x /f /r 
This may take many hours so plan to run overnight
Find the chkdsk report in the event viewer using the information in this link and post into the thread:
Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials 

4) open administrative command prompt and copy and paste: (repair operating system)
sfc /scannow 
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth 
When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

5) update windows (have all recommended updates installed) and reboot after updates

6) uninstall all non-Microsoft antivirus software
(This includes always on and manual software.)

7) Verify that the drive has > 27 GB free space (At least 25 GB is needed for creating dumps)

😎 Place the computer in clean boot:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows
How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wik...

9) Remove all unused SATA devices

10) Uninstall non-Microsoft disk encryption software

11) Run disk cleanup to clean temporary and system files

Then perform a Windows upgrade with a Windows 10 iso.
Download Windows 10
During upgrade do not perform Windows updates.
If the upgrade is successful then perform Windows updates.
The type of upgrade is an in place upgrade repair:
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Tutorials 

To perform an in place upgrade repair with a windows 10 iso:
1) power on the computer and open file explorer
2) insert the bootable windows 10 iso into any USB port
3) identify the iso in file explorer and click on it to launch setup or setup.exe
4) follow the rest of the steps in this link:
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Tutorials 

If the in place upgrade works while in clean boot you will be set.
If the upgrade fails please post the error message and error code

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Transactions
Author
Level 1
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Doc.

I'll run thru the first few steps in the next day or so and post back the results.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation