Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z840 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm seeing a warning that my memory is not configured properly.  I have two CPU's and 3 8GB memory chips.  Do I need to have an even number of memory chips to maximize performance?  Or, do I have the third chip in the wrong slot?  I added the 3rd one myself thinking I followed the diagram on the inside panel of the case for memory placement.  I put it in the spot it has labeled as the #3 slot.  See photos.

My second quesiton is how to set up the machine for "high performance"  I thought I did so in windows but it keeps going back to some default setting.

HP 3.PNG

HP 4.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BigDigital

I think using 3 x 8GB = 24GB is not recommented/supported:

Types of memory supported on an HP Z840 are:

• 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB PC4-2400R 2400 MHz DDR4 Registered DIMMs supported on Intel® Broadwell (v4) processors
  • 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB PC4-2133R MHz DDR4 Registered DIMMs supported on Intel® Haswell (v3) processors
  • 64 GB and 128 GB PC4-2400 2400 MHz DDR4 LR DIMMs supported on Intel® Broadwell (v4) processors
  • 32 GB, 64 GB, and 128 GB PC4-2133R 2133 MHz LR DIMMs supported on Intel® Haswell (v3) processors
  • Single and dual rank 4 GB and 8 GB based DIMMs are supported
  • Quad and octal rank 4 GB and 8 GB based LR DIMMs are supported

More indormation (p 22):

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4aa5-4045enw.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@BigDigital

I think using 3 x 8GB = 24GB is not recommented/supported:

Types of memory supported on an HP Z840 are:

• 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB PC4-2400R 2400 MHz DDR4 Registered DIMMs supported on Intel® Broadwell (v4) processors
  • 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB PC4-2133R MHz DDR4 Registered DIMMs supported on Intel® Haswell (v3) processors
  • 64 GB and 128 GB PC4-2400 2400 MHz DDR4 LR DIMMs supported on Intel® Broadwell (v4) processors
  • 32 GB, 64 GB, and 128 GB PC4-2133R 2133 MHz LR DIMMs supported on Intel® Haswell (v3) processors
  • Single and dual rank 4 GB and 8 GB based DIMMs are supported
  • Quad and octal rank 4 GB and 8 GB based LR DIMMs are supported

More indormation (p 22):

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4aa5-4045enw.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks, it would seem that you would desire even numbered dimms.  Page 24 shows the best configurations.  I’m wondering if removing the 3rd memory stick might be better than leaving it.  Alternatively, I could spend more money and buy another 8gb.  

I purchased “hp” memory stick, but it’s really Samsung with an hp sticker on it!  So maybe I can just buy a Samsung for less.

when I purchased the workstation from the dealer, it said the memory was 2400mhz, so I purchased the extra 2400.  However, the preinstalled 2x8gb sticks are 1866mhz!  I have not heard back from my dealer yet why the memory speed is not as advertised.  Does it really make much a performance difference though?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.