Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I get this sometimes (90%) when starting or rebooting my PC

when I press F1 I can boot and work and all 96GB ram is avail

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gtqEpChcgLW1FHjM7

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

What workstation is that?  Latest BIOS?

Personally I'd first take out each of the RAM sticks in order so you can get them back into their respective slots, and clean the contacts on the sticks well with at least 70% isopropyl alcohol and dry before re-inserting.  Make sure they are firmly inserted, with their two socket side tabs clicking properly in place fully.

Many of the HP workstations have an option to not stop on non-Fatal (recoverable) errors, so that you don't need to hit F1 to proceed with boot.  You may have dirty contacts on that stick, or the stick might be weak but not fatally flawed.  If the error continues after cleaning and reseating you'll need to choose whether you want to buy an exact replacement stick or try the BIOS trick to continue boot with a non-Fatal error.

The message tells you exactly what stick is having problems, but clean all.  The stick number is not that of order of insertion.  It is the socket number printed on the motherboard.  You can tell which is the memory bank associated with each processor.from the manual and positioning (closest to the same bank processor).

HP Recommended

Where can I find the non stop on "warnings" ? I serached Bios but found nothing.

HP Recommended

That is why I asked what type of workstation it is.  That particular feature has different entry names in BIOS, and is absent from some.  I have access to a number of different HP workstations here, and BIOS notes on others..... let me know and I'll try to help you.

HP Recommended

Oh I missed that I forgot to write that I am on a HP Z620

HP Recommended

Here we run the ZX20 workstation family BIOS in legacy mode, and run the latest for security requirements (medical sites), so 3.94 for us.  It is always best to update BIOS from within BIOS, and not from within W10 for sure.

The path:  F10 into BIOS, go over to Advanced tab, down to Power-On Options, down to Bypass F1 Prompt..., change that to Enabled, F10 to accept, Esc to back out of BIOS but don't forget to Save changes on exit, and confirm.

The wording in that option in the ZX20 BIOS is a bit confusing, but in my experience this does the same thing as in prior HP workstations... allows non-fatal errors to be bypassed by BIOS and does the same thing as you pushing the F1 key. 

I always try to avoid this trick because I want to know why I'm getting the F1 prompt and avoid that at the root level if at all possible (hence, cleaning the RAM contacts is better if it fixes the issue).

Let us know if that worked for you......

HP Recommended

HI, 

my Bios is 3.94 and this F1 option was already to "Enables" and I still get that F1:Boot messages ....

HP Recommended

Then set to disable and try again.  Stranger things have happened on the BIOS trail.

If no go then time to get out the alcohol.....

HP Recommended

Disable/Enable has no effect

guess will continue to press F1 from time to time

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.