Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z1 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to replace the mainboard and the video card of my z1 g1 workstatiom with a mini ITX? In your opinion can it be done? it's convenient?
It would take a msystem board with lvds or an LVDS adapter. My z1 has 16 gb ram, xeon E31280, quadro 1000.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

while anything is possible,  it's your skill level that will determine if you can do this as it's not just a drop/swap operation

you will need basic/mid range skills to modify the existing case to hold a new board and the same skills to rewire the front panel lights/ I/O ports and then possibly do the same to the power supply

asking us if you have the nessary skill sets for this is something we are unable to answer

HP Recommended

First of all, excuse my English.
I'm sure I can do it if I find the right hardware. I'm a software developer and the reason that drives me to start this project is that to have a machine with a modern CPU (new Xeon or i7-i8) and m.2 interface, trying to recover the my z1 which has the display replaced a year ago. 
If the final expense of these changes will be convenient, the project could serve other owners of this magnificent machine.
I think the main problems are:

1 - LCD panel, there are a few mainboards with lvds (example supermicro X11SSV-LVDS) - or a displayport to lvds adapter.

2 - Ventilation, adjust the cpu / video fan to the z1 ventilation system.
3 - I/O connectors.

Thank you for your interest.

HP Recommended

DominicoFormoso,

All-in-one systems- and laptops- are difficult to modify and are not very versatile.  The main problem is the space limitation, meaning that there are not too many options for components.  Also, a mini ITX motherboard will have extremely limited PCIe slots.

If  space is not a problem, (and it would help to have access to a wide market, for example in the EU), consider a used z420 V2 or z620 V2 (= a boot block date of 2013).  That will allow using a fast 6-core such as E5-1650 v2 or 1660 v2, an 8-core E5-1680 V2, or 10-core Xeon E5-2680 v2 or 2690 v2, more RAM, a full size GPU. Together this could support multiple displays, run several VM's, PCIe M.2, PCIe RAID controller, more drives including large-capacity 3.5", add a hot swap drive in a 5.25" bay, and so on.  The E5-1650 v2, 1660 v2, and 1680 v2 8-core may be overclocked using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. The office z620 is running an E5-1680 v2 at 4.3GHz on all 8-cores.

The z420 and z620 are not expensive today, have very good performance, and are ultra-reliable. The important aspect is that these can be refined to a much higher level and with less time and effort than modifying an all-in-one.

BambiBoomZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.