Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Workstation (1JP11AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

My Z4 came with 2-512GB and 2-1TB M.2 drives on the PCIe Turbo card. One of the 512GB units is the C: drive. I am wondering if I can move one or both 512GB M.2s to the motherboard connector(s) to add two more 1TB M.2s to the Turbo card to create a 4-drive RAID. Yes, I am aware the boot parameter would need to be changed in the BIOS.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mac_Head -- can I move one or both 512GB M.2s to the motherboard connector(s).

Most motherboards that have two M.2 sockets have one "Socket 1" socket, and one "Socket 2" socket.

Only one of those sockets is compatible with a M.2 SSD device; the other socket is compatible only with a WiFi adapter card.

So, only one of your devices can be connected to the motherboard.

HP Recommended

hi

maybe can help you :

HP Z4 G4 Workstation Specifications

Illustrated Parts

Maintenance and Service Guide

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z4-g4-workstation/16449890/manuals

open / check

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

as long as the current boot drive on the pci-e card is not raid or partitioned in a non std configuration then yes the ssd can be moved, however if the boot drive is raided or using a custom partition config, then no you can not move the ssd's from the card to the motherboard and retain booting

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.