Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am currently attempting to set up two monitors alongside my laptop with both monitors using HDMI cables. I currently have Monitor A connected to the HDMI port on my laptop and Monitor B connected to the HDMI port on my docking station, which is connected to my laptop through a USB-C port. However, when I attempt to display both screens, only Monitor A is actually working. When I have re-arranged the HDMI cables, I have found the following results:

1) When I remove the HDMI cable from the laptop (Monitor A Cable), the Monitor B screen displays and is working, showing this monitor is successfully connected.

2) When I swap the HDMI cables around and connect Monitor B to the laptop HDMI port, then only Monitor B is displayed. This shows the laptop HDMI port seems to be overriding the docking station port.

I have also tried to detect further screens through the display settings on my laptop but unfortunately have had no joy. If anyone could assist with this issue that would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

usually the laptop onboard video is disabled when docked, note also that a dock is not the same as a port replicator so please provide the model# of your dock/port replicator and the laptop model#

HDMI does not support daisy chaining monitors. You may be able to use an addition adapter for your dock to add another monitor such as USB 3.0 to HDMI or a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I have a hp elitebook x360 g4 laptop and targus USB-C docking station.

As a result, would you recommend getting one of the adapters mentioned (USB 3.0 to HDMI or a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter) to allow the display of two monitor screens at the same time?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.