Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elite Desk 800 G2 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello... please help me...

My PC using  core i5 - 6500 and i upgraded CPU to core i7 - 7700..

and i can't start my PC (use core i7 -7700)

please help...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@thanhnam273wrote:

please help...

Your bios probably only has Skylake microcodes. For i7-7700 you also need the Kaby lake microcodes.

Check to see if HP has such an update availalble. If not, there are ways to add the micocode to the existing bios, but as this is HP you will probably have problems trying to flash the modified bios.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@thanhnam273wrote:

please help...

Your bios probably only has Skylake microcodes. For i7-7700 you also need the Kaby lake microcodes.

Check to see if HP has such an update availalble. If not, there are ways to add the micocode to the existing bios, but as this is HP you will probably have problems trying to flash the modified bios.

HP Recommended

Thankyou.... i understand...  But i don't know how to update  Kaby lake microcodes...

Can you guide me?

HP Recommended

Research before project is always a good idea.  Upgrading HP processors is a project..... here would have been my advice:

1.  Contact this forum and ask if it could be done to see if anyone else actually has done that.

2.  Look up the latest Quickspec for your HP Elite Desk 800 G2 SFF.... that has a list of specific processors for your workstation that HP has approved for use for compatibility.  The way unauthorized processors won't work is to have a white list of approved processors embedded in the microcode section of the BIOS.  Sometimes later processors are added for a workstation because HP has tested them to be fully compatible, and you can find those by finding the latest QuickSpecs version.  HERE is a quite recent one, version 31 from 10/16/17 for your box:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04818335.pdf    (you can search to see if there is a later one)

3.  Go to page 9 and see that the Intel Core i7-6700 6th generation processor is the latest approved for the SFF variant of your workstation (not the processor you mention).  That is a 65W max TDP processor and so is your i5-6500 shown on page 10 so there are no cooling issues by the change.

4.  Go to the Intel ark site via a google search for i7-6700, and on the ordering page there you'll see it has a single sSpec code of SR2L2 and retails for about 312.00 USD.  Use that sSpec code to search eBay for a used one that is not bad from a reputable US seller..... recent used processors don't get a huge discount on eBay.

The latest microcode will be included with the latest BIOS update.  If HP had added the 7th gen processor you bought you'd see that in the latest QuickSpec document released for your G2.  The G3 version of your line of workstations will run that processor.

HP Recommended

bios microcode modding on your primary ( or any system that you can not replace) is not something you want to do

most motherboards lack dual bios's or socketed bios chips so if your bios mod is incorrect, you will end up with a non working motherboard

i srtongly recomend you either use a premodded bios (if available for your system) that has been confirmed working, or get a motherboard with dual bios support and learn how to mod bios's on it since a failed bios on this system can be recovered using it's backup bios

last, most HP workstation systems, have a checksumed bios that is protected. any changes to it will change the checksum, resulting in a failed bios update

HP Recommended

Al final se pudo instalar el procesador se septima generacion???

HP Recommended

Were you able to use the i7-7700 in G2 SFF with recent BIOS updates? I'm also planning to upgrade to 7th gen CPU.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.