Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We're trying to install some NVMe SSD's into Z230 workstations.  Namely Samsung 960 EVOM.2 250Gb cards without much luck.  The card is recoginised and I can install Windows 10 onto it but I cannot boot from it.  What should the BIOS settings be in the Z230 ? and/or can it boot from these cards at all ?   

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
Hi, Please check this document which will help you to change the BIOS settings for unit which has win 10 installed. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04740515?jumpid=reg_r1002_uken_c-001_title_r0001 3.Configure the BIOS before installing: 1.Restart the computer and press the F10 key repeatedly to enter the Setup menu. 2.Set the following settings according to your Workstation model: BIOS values and settings 1.Select Default Setup. 2.Select Restore Factory Settings and Default and press Enter. 3.At the Success screen, select Enter and then press Esc. 4.Select Apply Defaults and Exit to set the BIOS back to default. 5.After the system reboots, press F10 to boot back into the BIOS. 6.Under Security, select Secure Boot Configuration. 7.Set Legacy Support to Disable, and set Secure Boot to Enable. 8.Press F10. 9.Select Save Changes and Exit.
I am a HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello.  The Z230 workstation doesn't support NVME SSDs as a boot device.  This Z230  product was released before NVME technology became industry used.  The Z230 platform should be able to use the NVME SSD as a data drive, but will not be able to use it as a boot device.

The next generation Z240 has the ability for NVME SSDs as a boot device and is qualified to use them.  

HP Recommended

My Z230 came with an M.2 SSD 256GB drive as the only drive.  It worked fine until it died and I'm trying to replace it now.  I do not understand how this drive worked as the boot up drive and now I can't install windows on the replacement.  Any help would be apprieciated or should I save myself the headache and buy a non M.2 SSD drive?  TIA

HP Recommended

Hello.  Can you provide the specifications for the M.2 that you purchased?  I would also like to know what the serial number of the Z230 that you are working on.  The Z230 is not supported with NVME M.2s.  So I am assuming without knowing your serial number that it was delivered with an AHCI M.2 device.  I say all of this to understand if you purchased an NVME M.2 drive most likely it is not appearing in your WinPE image environment.  This could be two fold, meaning the system doesn't support the device as an OS and second if you are trying to install onto an NVME M.2 with Win7 it requires driver support to be in the install.wim as Win7 doesn't support NVME devices withou this process.  Please provide details of your serial number, the original M.2 and the newly purchased M.2.

HP Recommended

Hello, I purchased a 250GB NVMe SSD 960 EVO M.2 drive to replace the failed model: MZ-HPU256T/)H1 M.2.  My Z230 serial number is 2UA5071BZT.  The drive fits into a PCIE adapter on the motherboard and I'm trying to install Windows 10 Pro.

HP Recommended

It looks like you use HP Z Turbo Drive. I guess it is not SATA, nor NVMe drive, but intermediate model with proprietary protocol.

So I guess you cannot replace it with some SATA or NVMe M.2 card. You need exactly the same M.2 SSD or the same whole PCIe card. Or just install any SATA-3 SSD into your 2.5-inch bay and make it your boot drive.

HP Recommended

The serial number you provided 2UA5071BZT is AHCI based M.2.  This workstation product doesn't have NVME M.2 based support.  You would need to buy an AHCI M.2 based SSD for it to work on the Z230 platform.  We cannot add support for NVME into the Z230 product line. 

@OlegR wrote:

It looks like you use HP Z Turbo Drive. I guess it is not SATA, nor NVMe drive, but intermediate model with proprietary protocol.

So I guess you cannot replace it with some SATA or NVMe M.2 card. You need exactly the same M.2 SSD or the same whole PCIe card. Or just install any SATA-3 SSD into your 2.5-inch bay and make it your boot drive.

HP Recommended

I will try the AHCI based M.2 and if that doesn't work will try the other suggestion of using the 2.5 drive bay.  Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.