Tagman
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Need Drivers for Win7 UEFI Install [Z420 Workstation]

HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am able to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode on my Z420 using the ISO mounted on a flash drive (because all of the needed drivers are included in the ISO by default).

I am now trying to do the same with Win7 Pro X64 and am running into problems.

I can boot into the UEFI device (DVD Install  Media) and start setup, but when the time comes - I am unable to find a device driver that will work with the base controller to access my hard drive.  Reading the generic HP UEFI installation instructions, it says that you have to obtain the necessary driver and point to it during installation because it was not included in the Win7 media.  Fine.

However, for the life of me, I can't locate any drivers that will do the job.  I've checked the HP download site and tried everything listed to no avail.  I've tried downloads from Intel.  I've googled until the cows came home, but I keep failing.

Is there a trickey setting in bios that I've overlooked?  (Remember, I got win10 to install in UEFI mode)...

Surely, somone, somewhere has installed Win7 Pro X64 in UEFI Mode prior to this.  Where can I find the necessary drivers to make this work?   What am I looking for? Or do I need to give it up, and revert back to BIOS MBR mode?

2 REPLIES 2
Skylarking
Level 6
382 369 22 66
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have a look at this detailed document  Install UEFI based Windows 7 on the HP Z420, Z620, and Z820 Workstations as it may give you the hints you need to get Win7 UEFI installed correctly. Then i'd expect a similar process can be used for Win 10 UEFI install.

Pay particular note to the statement that "The Zx20 firmware is capable of booting in UEFI mode by enabling the storage controller’s EFI driver in Computer Setup".

Best you read the doc and digest it :Wink:

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Brian1965
Level 7
537 515 73 128
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tagman,

Look at the document link posted by Skylarking. Very helpful.

Win7 UEFI.JPG

I purchased a full retail version of W7Pro and it installed on my HP Z620 without any issues. Of course you will need to select EFI in the BIOS for the mass storage and make sure you have the latest BIOS version.

If you look at my second post on this page it may assist.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/SM951-M-2-SSD-in-a...

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation