Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Z640 product ID F2D64AV with CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz

It is not compatible with Windows 11

Can I replace the CPU with a new CPU that is windows 11 compatible?

What CPU is appropriate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

no........ you can not install a gen 8 intel cpu, this system only supports up to  two Intel Xeon E5-2600v3 or E5-2600v4 series processors

however since this system does support TPM 2.0 you can manually install windows 11 however you will not be offered a win 10 to 11 update via the MS update system

and any win 11 updates will also have to be manually applied most likely

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

no........ you can not install a gen 8 intel cpu, this system only supports up to  two Intel Xeon E5-2600v3 or E5-2600v4 series processors

however since this system does support TPM 2.0 you can manually install windows 11 however you will not be offered a win 10 to 11 update via the MS update system

and any win 11 updates will also have to be manually applied most likely

HP Recommended

Thank you for letting me know. So my option now is to get a new motherboard and CPU?

How do I do this and find out how much this will cost?

HP Recommended

you stated:

my option now is to get a new motherboard and CPU?

How do I do this and find out how much this will cost?

my reply is Huh????? are you telling me you never bought things in a store or online? i find that hard to fathom.................

as to what it costs,....................... these sellers of products post the price for their items, nothing new about that

last you can buy a new system piecemeal (MB/CPU/ram/pwr supply and so on) or buy a new or used prebuilt system

the z640 like some consumer systems uses a non standard motherboard/power supply and case,.. as such trying to mount a different MB/pwr supply is not a beginners task!! stay with industry ATX compatible parts if you plan on doing upgrades to a system

HP Recommended

thx for the reply, I was a bit quick with my message.

What I was asking was if it was possible to upgrade this particular box. Some of the corporate workstations that I've used in the past could not be upgraded, even with a new motherboard due to mounting hole mismatches.

I'll contact a HP supplier and ask.

HP Recommended

The answer to your specific question is No.... no you cannot change out the motherboard of your current HP workstation to one that will allow you to run a Microsoft certified processor for W11.   That is not the only roadblock you face... one of which is that your TPM chip soldered to your Z640's motherboard likely is TPM 1.2, not 2.0.  There is an upgrade pathway to flash the firmware on that chip to 2.0, but the same does not exist now (or likely forever) for upgrade of the TPM 1.2 chip soldered onto the ZX20 generation of workstations.  They are different TPM chips...

If you want a HP workstation that can officially fill the requirements placed by Microsoft you will need to buy a new one, and do your homework carefully first.  The most efficient way to do that is to wait and only buy a HP workstation that ships with W11 pre-installed..

I'm waiting for now... and expect to gather info on how to circumvent the Microsoft requirements for the just-released version of W11 from yesterday.  I expect this to be done as a W11 upgrade to one of my cloned W10 builds, either on a ZX20 or ZX40 workstation, and plan on sticking with W10 for some time for my critical production HP workstations.  But I will experiment, and the thing that worries me is if MS precludes security or other updates from such non-official W11 builds.  In my world lack of security updates is not allowed.

Not sure that will turn out to be the case yet.

HP Recommended

Just download the modified Windows 11 ISO with all the limitations removed and install it as usual)  You can find such ISO over the internet. Windows 11 is the same Windows 10 but with a new "skin".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.