Level 2
12 5 1 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

New HP business workstation with PCI legacy slot

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello to all,

is it still possible to buy HP workstation with the following slot: PCI card (32 bit; 3.3/5V; 33/66MHz)

I have one card for that must fits new motherboard. SInce this is old, it is very hard to find appropriate HP business station that has PCI legacy slot.

In some specs I have found out it is possible as option, but I'm not sure how to check this option.

Any suggestions?

Thank you 

4 REPLIES 4
Z440Roger
Level 5
161 157 12 46
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Z440: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04400038.pdf

"PCI Connectors (5.0V)
Slot 6: PCI 32bit/33MHz
Full-height, Full-length (with extender)"

It can still be bought new but is one generation older than the current Z4/Z6/Z8-series. None of the Z4/Z6/Z8-series has a PCI slot, only PCIe slots.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you may also have a issue with os support, only legacy systems still support windows 7 newer intel cpu's will no longer run windows 7 the HP zx40 systems  will still support windows 7 while the even older out of support zx20 systems  also have a pci-e slot and support windows

0 Kudos
Z440Roger
Level 5
161 157 12 46
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

...newer intel cpu's will no longer run windows 7...

Off Topic:

I have never heard that a new processor from Intel stops you from installing Windows 7. You can order a Z4 G4 with Windows 7 pre-installed and that computer is even newer than the ZX00-family. Or, what did i miss? 🙂

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My sentence that newer intel cpu's will no longer run windows 7 should have been writen as newer intel/AMD cpu's will no longer have any windows 7 support from microsoft

only some Skylake  cpu based models from the major OEM's still have windows 7 support most skylake based models do not have windows 7 support. The z8/z4 series however do have windows 7 support (i stand corrected) however you must order the system with from a HP auth reseller and specify the windows 7 option at the time of the order,  you can not buy windows 7 for a z8/z4 system as a addon and HP will not provide support for windows 7 unless their system shows it was part of the original order

Microsoft will no longer support windows 7 on intel gen 7 or newer cpu's and block all updates for Intel gen 7 or newer cpu's?

this also applies to AMD 7th gen cpu's and newer

please read the first post in this forum (it's stickied)

or thse links

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05289634

https://www.howtogeek.com/311743/how-and-why-microsoft-blocks-windows-7-updates-on-new-pcs/

if you have a newer cpu and install windows, the is no offical way to download/install any updates from the microsoft update servers which makes installing win 7 a pointless endevor

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation