Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z620 Duel Processor Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I believe the Motherboard that came with my HP Z620 Duel Processor Workstation went bad as I can no longer do any

sort of startup. No DOS Screens appear. So I'm looking for another Motherboard that will work with the HP Z620

Duel Processor Workstation. Here are some specs of my system:

Operating System: Windows 10 - 64 bit

HP Z620 Workstation System Information

System Model: HP Z620 Workstation (Duel Processors)

Motherboard Model: 158A (CPU0)

Chipset Model: Sandy Ridge-E

Chipset Revision: 07

Southbridge Vendor: Intel Southbridge Model: C602

Southbridge Revision: 05

Bios

Brand Hewlett-Packard

Version j61 v03.91

Duel Porcessors:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz, 2594 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Bios Version/Date: Hewlett-Packard J61 v03.91, 10/17/2016
SMBIOS Version: 2.7

"Bios Boot Block Date: 12/28/2011"

Motherboards Listed at HP Support Website

1) System board (motherboard) - With Dual Integrated Intel Gigabit LAN on-board (LOM), High Definition integrated audio - Supports 1333MHz DDR3 memory (Spare Part # 708614-001)

2)System board (motherboard) - With Dual Integrated Intel Gigabit LAN on-board (LOM), High Definition integrated audio - Supports 1333MHz DDR3 memory - For Windows 8 Professional (Spare Part #708614-601)

At this point I don't know what Motherboard to get that will work with my HP Z620 Duel Processor Workstation. I

am hoping there will be an upgraded Motherboard for this computer!

Please let me know what Motherboard will work with my HP Z620 Duel Processor Workstation. As you probably

noticed my Bios Boot Block Date is 12/28/2011. There is no way to update this!

Please send your reply to my Email Address: [Personal Information Removed]

Thanks for your time and help!!

Sincerely,

John Eline

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Before you bin/scrap your current motherboard, I would recommend you try the 'crisis recovery' procedure first to ensure the board is actually damaged. There's an excellent post created by SDH which details this procedure;

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Crisis-Recovery-Ju...

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Agree with Brian on trying to salvage your motherboard first.  It won't take long to clarify if there is hope, and you may already know there is no joy in that.  But, do check your power supply also because if it is dead (fails the BIST) a replacement of that might do the trick.  It's all in the technical guide manual on how to do that, and those power supplies are reasonable on eBay and it is a quick fix.

So, let's say the MB is in fact dead and the power supply is good...... go to eBay and look at used Z620 motherboards and look at the little white bar code label many ads have pics of.  Gather examples of as many as you can and try to see the pattern there..... both by part numbers and organize those by "REV" alphanumeric.  You'll find there is a threshold going from version 1 to version 2 that way.  Buy a used version 2 would be my recommendation.  That can run all the old version 1 processors (which you own) but some day you might wish to upgrade to version 2 ones.

If you happen to find a new ("virgin") motherboard there is a complex "brand" or "tattoo" process that is newer than the old process you'll find daunting info on via Google.  This new ZX20 approach is complex but can be done (I have done that), and is truly a process that is usually reserved for HP -trained field service engineers.  The codes to do that are on your case labels but with some special things added in, and the process is far from obvious.  I'd avoid that.....

Branding the virgin motherboard properly with the codes from your original version 1 would let you use both the newer and the older HP W7Pro64 OEM COA install kits.  From that you can upgrade still to OS 10 Pro64.   MS harvests your motherboard's UUID and registers that in their central servers so you can do a clean install of 10 whenever you want thereafter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.