Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420 Base Model
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

• I want to buy a new video card to my Z420 Base workstation PC.
  • Here is my PC specification:
    • Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz
    • Number of Cores :4
    • Memory: RAM 8.0 GB
    • Video Card NVIDIA Quadro 2000
    • Power supply: 600 W 

I wonder if these video cards would be suitable to my PC:

1. Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 
  2. Gigabyte GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC
  3. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 
  4. Gigabyte GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC

Thanks in advance,

Laor.

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

All cards will work fine and the only issue that may occur is if you have a PCIe card in Slot 3 and/or Slot 4 in your computer.

The graphic cards sits in Slot 2 (default) and will cover Slot 3. All graphic cards you mention are a tad higher than "normal" and may touch the PCIe card in Slot 4 that may cause issues with the fans and the airflow to the graphic card. If your Slot 4 is empty you will have no problems with any of the graphic cards. 🙂

HP Z420 Slots:

hpz420.png

HP Recommended

Hi Z440Roger, 

Thank you for the fast replay!!. 

All of the slots are empty except slot number 2 ( the Nvidia quadro 2000 is connected to it). 

I am worried about contact between the video card to the  "Heat-sink" on the motherboard, please see the pictures attached. 

What do you think ? 

1.jpeg2.jpg3.jpg

HP Recommended

I am worried about contact between the video card to the  "Heat-sink" on the motherboard, please see the pictures attached.  What do you think ? 

The heat sink won´t be a problem since the computer is designed for large form factor cards. 🙂

HP Recommended

@Laorbar wrote:

Hi,

• I want to buy a new video card to my Z420 Base workstation PC.
  • Here is my PC specification:
    • @processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz
    • Number of Cores :4
    • Memory: RAM 8.0 GB
    • Video Card NVIDIA Quadro 2000
    • Power supply: 600 W 

I wonder if these video cards would be suitable to my PC:

1. Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 
  2. Gigabyte GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC
  3. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 
  4. Gigabyte GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC

Thanks in advance,

Laor.

I can confirm that the Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming worked with no issues in a Z420 - had this card in my Z420. I also had the 600W PSU and used a 2 x6pin to 1x8pin adapter for the auxilliary power connection to the card - no issues whatsoever.

All the G1 cards have the same dimensions so you will not have any problems with these, the Windforce cards are smaller so  no problems there either.

Chipset heatsink clearance for these or any other cards you may decide to put in is not a problem.

HP Recommended
Hi,
I recieved my 1080 gtz graphic card.
I think i dont have the suitible power cabel in my pc.
I have 2 connectors with 6 pins (2×3) unused but i need to connect 8 pin connector to the graphic card.
Some one can advice me please ?
20170926_195544.jpg
HP Recommended

@Laorbar wrote:
Hi,
I recieved my 1080 gtz graphic card.
I think i dont have the suitible power cabel in my pc.
I have 2 connectors with 6 pins (2×3) unused but i need to connect 8 pin connector to the graphic card.
Some one can advice me please ?

Covered this in my above post - you need a 2x6pin to 1x8pin adapter.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you very mouch !!:smileyhappy:  

I did not found where can i buy it, can you send me a link  please ?

(i prefer to buy it on ebay) 

HP Recommended

Just to mention, NVIDIA Support team does not recommend using 2x6 pin to 8 pin adaptor. 

They recommend to buy a new power supply 

see the link : 

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2198/~/my-nvidia-based-graphics-card-has-an-8-pin...

HP Recommended

@Laorbar wrote:

Just to mention, NVIDIA Support team does not recommend using 2x6 pin to 8 pin adaptor. 

They recommend to buy a new power supply 

see the link : 

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2198/~/my-nvidia-based-graphics-card-has-an-8-pin...

Good luck with that 'new' power supply for the Z420 - since it does not follow a standard ATX convention there are none available. You could get an adapter to use an ATX PSU in the Z420 but frankly the the standard PSU works fine with this kind of card provided you get the adapter.

Also there are multiple posts in this forum that the output on the 6pin connectors actually exceeds ATX specs (did not test myslef though) so possibly you could get away with just attaching one 6pin connector and jumpering the two remaining pins on the card (these are just ground pins to 'tell' the card that the attached PSU is man enough for the job) - but obviously  I would recommend this approach - just buy the appropriate adapter on ebay or aliexpress.

e.g.

https://www.ebay.com/p/EVGA-Video-Card-Power-PCI-Express-Adapter-8-Pin-to-Two-6-Pin/2255418750

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.