Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP XW9400

I have a system composed of an XW9400 system board along with compatible components, almost all of them stock components which shipped with the XW9400. The only exceptions that come to mind are the memory, the graphics card, and one of the CPU fans which is a Dynatron fan that appears to be rated properly.

My system has run smoothly for some time, but recently it became unresponsive and I shut it down using the power switch. At that time, the system also had an LSI PCI card with SATA ports, which I've since removed as I attempt to diagnose.

Since shutting the system down, when I start there is no video output from the system (tested with working monitors). The graphics card is a new Radeon 5450 based card. 

I have followed the troubleshooting flow chart in the manual (pg 184)- the light is a steady green, no beeping from the speaker, etc.  I have not reseated the processor- I was not sure what that means since the processor is either in the socket or it's not. The flow chart concludes I should replace the system board, but it is a new board. 

Are there any alternative ways I can diagnose this issue, or any other information I can glean from the system currently?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

can you test the card in another system? (or try another video card)

have you checked the video cable connections?

can you test the monitor on another system? (or a different monitor)

have you checked the power supply using the builtin "BIST" test  (read service manual to find out how to do this)

HP Recommended

I currently do not have another video card or another system to test the video card on.

However, if the video card is the issue, I can attempt to start the system normally- it will responsive on the network if it boots properly. With this I should be able to rule out video card for now with some reasonable probability.

The video cable, its connections, and the monitor have all been verified. Two monitors have been tried which work on other machines.

I will check the BIST test shortly and report back.

HP Recommended

I performed the  BIST test which was positive, green LED and fan.

I also removed one of the processors- same issue.

I tried booting the system and waiting for it to appear on the network but it did not, which suggests that it is not a video card issue, but this remains to be proven.

I do have another system board that I can try, but it's not new and there may be an issue with it so I'm not sure if it will work. But I will try it and report back.

HP Recommended

It appears that it was in fact the system board.

On the other board, I received "pre-video graphics error" (six red light pulses). I moved the card from PCI slot #18 to #15. #15 is the slot that is labeled for graphics, which I did not notice. It now works with the other board.

However, testing the same change (moving from #18 to #15) on the other board did not fix the issue. Moreover the other board never exhibited the pre-video graphics error diagnostic- as I described, it was always a steady green light. So I conclude that the issue arose from that board.

So the issue in this thread is now solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.