Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 (1JP11AV)

Hi,

Non-ECC RAM stopped working after update BIOS to P61 v2.41. BIOS beeps 3 long + 2 short.

Clearing CMOS did not help. Downgrading to original version is not possible due to firmware is missing on the web-site. The same issue with version 2.40.

RAM is HX421C14FB/16

ECC memory m393a2k40cb2-ctd7q works well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

do you have the xeon or the i7 motherboard? xeon must use ECC ram, i7 uses non ECC

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c05527757.pdf

HP Recommended

The CPU is Xeon W-2155.

The thing is that non-ECC RAM was working before.

HP Recommended

from what i see in the hp specs ECC ram is required on the xeons motherboards

please post the ram part number you were using

HP Recommended

The part number is  HX421C14FB/16.

Other data on the label: 9905625-083.AOOLF, DTMM16A1606, 0000007520174-T002010, RAJR5-V95TX3-PV92F

HP Recommended

You need ECC memory since you have a Xeon processor. Find it here: https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?DeviceType=1&Mfr=HEW&Line=Workstation&Model=97125

HP Recommended

Why did you upgrade the bios?  This is why you shouldn't unless you need to.

Check the hp ftp server.  Other option would be to talk to the guys at the bios mods forum.

HP Recommended

A better question would be "why did you use memory that was specifically contrary to HP recommendations for your very valuable and fast workstation?".  BIOS updates recently have dealt with some very important security risks that Intel/HP have worked together closely on, to protect these workstations.  If you don't know about that then it is time to get your google going.

I continue to recommend updating BIOS in the safest way possible... update from within BIOS.  I wish HP would get on this bandwagon.... it is already built in, it works reliably, and it is the safest way to go.  The HP perspective may be that it is just one layer too deep.  I don't think so.

HP Recommended

If the memory was supported by that particular cpu before, a bios update shouldn't have killed it.  That's unnecessary crippling.  Like the incorrect 'only ecc udimms' requirement for the z420.  I wish I would have known it could take rdimms years ago as I have a pile of them here.  They can even use lrdimms to max out at 256GB of ram--4x what HP says it can do.

HP Recommended

The reason we updated BIOS is bug fixing and security risks as mentioned bellow. Non-ECC is needed because we have more modules of them. Thank you everyone for help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.