Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After updating the BIOS to the latest version (from rev 2.20 to 2.50) I can't load anymore to the windows and Non-system disk or disk error appears. Also all USB ports are inactive.

The only thing that I can boot to the BIOS but I can't find there any solution.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

z840 systems have numerous configuration options regarding the storage config, without knowing your exact setup i am unable to offer any suggestions. If you do provide this information then perhaps we can offer some suggestions on how to troubleshoot the problem

HP Recommended

There is only one SSD drive connected now where the OS is installed and It works fine before update.

Should I look this config in the bios? I cant find the drive there. It appears only in mini OROM display in the right top of the screen.

z840 loading screen.jpg

HP Recommended

The SSD connected to the SAS0 (marked  with red circle).

1585862104402.JPEG

HP Recommended

AHAAA,.. the sec post is what i needed

if the ssd is a normal SATA drive , please move the cables off the LSI SAS/SATA ports and onto the Intel SATA SCU ports that are right above you should not be on the LSI controller with a boot drive as it's slower than the intel sata ports

place the 4 SATA  cables in the 4 white Intel "SCU" ports, ( port 0 is closest to the Intel black sata 1 port)

if you look at the left side of the area where the 4 removable drive trays are you will see 0/1/2/3 stamped on the metal

match tray 0 cable to SCU port 0 and do the same for the other 3

take the 5.25 bay that has the boot drive (and if using the hot swap tray, make sure it's in the topmost tray, which is#0) connect the boot SSD tp the BLACK INTEL SATA port #0 (closest to front of case)

in other words you want to boot the SSD (if a SATA 2.5 drive) from the Black Intel port 0 with the other hot swap bays connected to the "SCU" ports

this should resolve your boot issue

if the ssd is a M.2 drive, check the bios for the drive boot order and make sure the m.2 is the topmost device listed

HP Recommended

HI DGroves,
Thank you for your prompt reply

Here are the configs I tried:

1. First I connected with separate cable to the Black Intel port 0 (other connections are void since there aren't any ssd/hdd connected)

HP Z 840 Config 1.JPEG

2. I tried to connect from the same port with ssd installed into 0 tray (HDD bay 0)

HP Z 840 Config 2.JPEG

3. I tried connected to sSata 0

HP Z 840 Config 3.JPEG

The result for the all these configs were unsuccessful.

Also I noticed that with these configs the SSD drive disappeared from Mini OROM Display (it appears when I connect the drive to the SAS0 port)

MINI Orom 1.JPEG

Another strange thing I noticed that when entering the BIOS all the SATA ports were disabled and even if I switching them to enabled state after save and exit I find them in disabled state when I entering to the bios setting  again 🙄.

Beside this problem the USB ports are also not working. (though they are all enabled in the BIOS).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.