Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z4 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

does anyone know if a SLI of 2 Nvidia 2080 TI is working on a Z4 G4 with Intel Core i9-7900X CPU and Intel X299 Chipset?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

this question has been asked and answered numerous times please thake the 20 sec or so to use the forums search function in the future before posting.

HP only supports specific models in the "QUADRO" line of video cards....consumer models will not work under SLI

HP Recommended

Schwyzi,

The Z4 G4 US sales / specification list:

https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&catEntry...

> includes these optional display accessories:

HP DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
HP DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI Adapter
HP DisplayPort to DVI-D Adapter
HP DisplayPort to DVI-D Adapter (2-pack)
HP DisplayPort to DVI-D Adapter (4-pack)
HP DisplayPort to DVI-D Adapter (6-pack)
HP NVIDIA SLI 2-Slot Graphics Connector
HP Single miniDP-to-DP Adapter Cable
HP Single miniDP-to-DP Adapter Cable (2-pack)
HP Single miniDP-to-DP Adapter Cable (4-pack)
HP Single miniDP-to-DP Adapter Cable (8-pack)

There is a note that a 2X GPU system must have the 1000W power supply.

It appears that RTX GPU's are rare in HP systems. Checking Passmark baseline results, of the 20,000+ HP systems tested, it seems there are only about 20-25 RTX systems listed, mostly in systems called HP Omen 875 /880 /900. There is, however, an Z4 G4 (i9-7900X / 64GB / Samsung SM961) system listed using an RTX 2080 Ti with a 3D result of 16844.  As the Passmark average 3D result for the 2080 Ti is 16908, that Z4 is is running a single GPU. Based on all HP/RTX results, it appears that there have been no RTX + SLI systems  yet tested. This is therefore inconclusive. Consider contacting HP Support in your location for specific information.

Given that several important software makers do not recognize dual GPU's, including Adobe, Autodesk, and Dessault, a single GPU may be more useful. There is a new RTX recently released, the Titan RTX with 24GB VRAM and 4608 CUDA cores.  This is ranked No.1 in Passmark 3D results, the average 3D mark for Titan RTX is 20090. The Titan RTX costs about the same or possibly less than 2X RTX 2080 Ti. 

However, there is a performance trade-off:  the memory for 2X GRTX 2080 Ti= 22GB and, importantly, the CUDA cores = 8704, so the compute capability- for example simulation and GPU rendering, of 2X RTX 2080 Ti will be considerably better than a single Titan RTX if the application recognizes 2X GPU.

That's a complex decision based on hardware, application, and software considerations.

BambiBoomZ

HP z620_2 (2017) (R7) > Xeon E5-1680 v2 (8-core@ 4.3GHz) / z420 Liquid Cooling / 64GB DDR3-1866 ECC Reg / Quadro P2000 5GB + GTX 1070 Ti 8GB / HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 256GB AHCI + Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB + HGST 7K6000 4TB /  825W PSU /> HP OEM Windows 7 Prof.’l 64-bit
HP Recommended

HP is "VERY" specific on which video cards the z series workstations can use in SLI mode, if a nvidia card is not listed then there will be no SLI support. this is due to licensing restrictions from nvidia, HP only licenses some QUADRO models for SLI..... no consumer card models will work in SLI mode on HP's workstation lines

in reguards to the AMD "W" series workstation video card line, you might be able to use Crossfire, as amd never had the restrictions on it that nvidia has on their SLI

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05846113#AbT3

HP Recommended

Hi, it should work, but this is not supported/tested by HP solution (may be not yet), note that z4 chassis is not very suitable for 2 dual slot high performance card like 2080ti. I am running one 2080ti and second one would fit with huge problems , and if yes, you can forget pluggin something else into other PCIE slots - I was also considering this option.

I think 2080 does not use SLI anymore , but display link bridge (not sure 100%, google it)

HP factory installed 2080ti in z4 will be available later in 2019 after qualification, dual card setup not yet clear.

Rule #1 - always use Geforce with Quadro style blower design, avoid using dual /triple fan designs, it blows heat to motherboard components.

HP Recommended

If I find time, I will test dual 2080ti setup in z4, I got 2 cards available, but no nvlink bridge :(. 

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I'm very curious if you tried 2x rxt cards on a z4? Seriously considering a xeon z4 for a dual gpu setup but I can see space will be tight due to the layout of pcie slots. Which cards do you use? blower type is supposed to be more ideal in this case, but I'm not sure.. 

HP Recommended

Bivoy,

have you had the chance to try two RTX2080ti´s yet?

I´m currently in the same situation, considering to buy another one. I´m quite uncertain if this will work and hope that someone else had the chance, before I spend 1300€ for nothing 😞

I have a Z4 with an i9-7940X and 1000W psu and of course the x299 chipset wich is capable of SLI/NVlink.

From my experience with my Z840 only Quadro SLI works (had 2x P4000´s) and Geforce (2x GTX 1080´s) SLI won´t work at all, but these Workstations had only XEON configurations and C612 Series Chipsets. Now with the launch of the Core i CPUs and x299 in the Z4 line-up I would think that it should work now, not only because HP is selling a NVIDIA SLI 2-slot Graphics Connector (2YY84AA) but also because HP differs between SLI Connector and Quadro RTX NVLink connectors (6FY12AA). 

Michael

HP Recommended

Unlike consumer systems, HP only supports "some" Quadro models in SLI mode. please check the quickspecs for your model and you will then see which (if any) are supported in SLI

again, just to be clear,......NO CONSUMER VIDEO CARDS ARE SUPPORTED IN SLI MODE ON THE HP WORKSTATION Models

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.