cwwhitjr
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Only 1 SSD allowed in z420

HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I currently have a Samsung V-NAND EVO 850, 500 gb as my boot drive and a WDC wd3000HLHX-60JJPV1 (279 gb, 7200 rpm SATA). I cannot get the workstation to recognize a second SSD. so far I've tried 3, 2 Samsung  V-NAND EVO 850, 500 gb, and a SanDisk 480 gb SSD. none are recognized in the bios, or in Device Manager or Disk Management.

I want to replace the Sata with another 500 gb SSD.

2 REPLIES 2
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 29 240
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There should be no reason why that shouldn't work. 😕

Double check to make sure the SATA connections on the system board are in properly. (I've seen stranger things...)

I'd call the workstation team to see what's happening if that doesn't help.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 933
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the HP z420 board has two "black" SATA ports that use the default MS driver, it also has 4  "white" SCU sata ports that require

the intel Enterprise RST driver be installed before the Intel® C236 chipset ports will work

you should also have a onboard M.2 SSD slot that uses nvme ssd's

check device manager do you have any yellow or red icons?

download the RST driver v15 for win 10,  or v14 for win 7

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z240-tower-workstation/8354563

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation