Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Option part not covered by Care Pack

Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

Is this normal?

I have Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF with 5Y NBD Care Pack, Product number: E4Z64EA.

Some time ago I bought Original HP 1TB SATA HDD Option Part QK555AA. This drive is officialy listed in compatible options for my desktop.

Problem is this HDD died and HP does not want to replace it, they literaly mentioned this in support ticket: "this device does not included this HDD. Customer has to contact seller."

So then what's the point of buying original parts if they are not covered by Care Pack?

I work as field service technician for some big SAN storage vendor, I know i't completely different world but we replace official "upgrade" parts without any question.

Regards,

rudi

5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2358 2354 203 462
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yes it is normal, the HP workstation care pack does not cover items sold by other HP divisions or parts added later that are not on the listed options list for said model

I have a few questions for you and some information/details on how the care pack works

did you buy the drive and the system at the same time ?  or was the drive bought at a later date?

the hp care pack only covers items listed at the time of the computers purchase, in other words the base system and any optional upgradeshp lists for that model bought at the same time from the HP workstation division

if you bought a care pack on the base system, only that will be covered 

buying a HP part at a later date does not mean it's covered under the system care pack, said part is covered by hp's normal warranty on that part for consumer systems/parts, and i belive the same applies to workstations in most cases

https://store.hp.com/us/en/cv/carepackfaq

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/services/consumer/services-overview.html

there may be exceptions to this on some server related parts such as buying a second cpu from HP Enterprise for a server under care pack and having the HP tech install said part may allow you to update the servers listed configuration under the care pack to include the new cpu, but check with HP enterprise division to confirm this as they are now a seperate company

0 Kudos
rudiinko Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you for response

It was bought later. But HP technician didn't ask for proof of purchase or anything like that. He only mentioned he can't order spare part.

To be honest this is not too awesome.

Original HP parts are usualy more expensive and they carry only 12month warranty. I can buy same drive from Seagate, WD atc. with longer warranty, and they are exactly the same, except for HP sticker (I know this is not the case in server world where drives usualy have different firmware).

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2358 2354 203 462
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

again, when HP workstation or business divisions create a system, they will make a base system and then usually a options list, all of those items in the options list have been tested by that HP division to work as specified in the listed model computer

buying a HP drive from another division is not the same as buying a drive that was listed in the option list of approved items for that model computer

HP business parts systems do not have access to other hp parts divisions

if you had bought a optional  drive that was listed under the listed options for your model computer at the same time you bought the main computer, then added a care pack it would be covered

again the HP care pack is not a blanket warranty for everything HP makes/sells please read the care pack links i provided for details on how/what is covered under the care packs

0 Kudos
rudiinko Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wll it's 1TB drive listed in options list. Original HP part, new in box, compatible P/N, from authorized reseller. Added 6 months after I bought main computer.

So I was wrong to think this part will be covered by Care Pack?

CarePack terms and conditions and information in your links are very vague about what is covered and what isn't.

Also keep in mind this is commercial product, not consumer PC.

And to make it more complicated this is mentioned in "HP Options and Accessories Limited Warranty":

If your HP Option is installed in an HP Hardware Product, HP will provide warranty service for either the period specified in the warranty documents (HP Option Limited Warranty Period) that shipped with the HP Option or for the remaining warranty period of the HP Hardware Product in which the HP Option is installed, whichever period is longer, but not to exceed three (3) years from the date you purchased the HP Option.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2358 2354 203 462
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it's not complacated, you just refuse to accept that because you did not order the optional drive when the system was purchased it is not covered under the care pack warranty

i have explaned this several times, given you links to the HP care pack terms and conditions and it's not going to change because your unhappy with those terms. i recomend you read the stated care pack terms in the link i provided so in the future you will understand what the care pack does/does not cover and/or call hp care pack support number listed in the link i provided and talk to them

i will now consider this sublect closed on my end, but anyone else is free to post idf they choose to

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation