Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z620
Other

I'm using a Z620 as a headless server, but need a graphics card installed for the occacional maintenence. To save PCIe slots for better use (e.g. SSD blades) I thought of using the old PCI port for the graphics card. However, when installning a graphics card in that slot the machine does not boot and gives a 6 beep error (problem with graphics).

The graphics card I'm trying to use is an ATI Rage XL.

Secure boot is disabled and legacy mode endabled in BIOS.

BIOS is updated to the latest version.

Any suggestions how I can get this running?

Edit: The computer doesn't boot without a graphics card installed, so if you, like me, want to have both PCIe 16x slots available for SSDs then you have to use a PCI (non-Express) graphics card even if you do all maintenence remote.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

is this the new Rage XL card or a original Rage XL from years ago? 

i recomend you try a pci card with  more onboard video ram and/or try a nvidia card also

the z620 bios could be having a issue with the card only having 8meg ram try a card with 512 or 1gb video ram

Not sure if it was the Rage XL (way old original) that was faulty or if it was too old for the Z620 or if it doesn't like ATI chipsets, but I got a HP NVS280 64MB from eBay that works fine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

i recomend you try a pci card with  more onboard video ram and/or try a nvidia card also

the z620 bios could be having a issue with the card only having 8meg ram try a card with 512 or 1gb video ram

HP Recommended

Personally, I would use a vnc software package, (such as Realvnc or Ultravnc), for remote access and to perform maintenance tasks. It's what I used for my old server unit. Install the software on the server and on another networked computer and you can have full access via the remote computer for maintenance, etc. View the server desktop in a window or full screen, access file explorer and run programs, etc. as normal.  If you connect via LAN then there is virtually no lag using the mouse or screen updates. Connect and disconnect only as required. Saves the hassle of moving the server and plugging a keyboard, mouse and monitor in every time. Just a thought.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

Not sure if it was the Rage XL (way old original) that was faulty or if it was too old for the Z620 or if it doesn't like ATI chipsets, but I got a HP NVS280 64MB from eBay that works fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.