Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

i had a 6300 pro sff system that ran dual video, and the nvidia 3000 card had issues with the attached monitor/TV refusing to detect or if detected, sync as a valid display device under win 10 using displayport (intel was DVI)

replacing either the display or the nvidia card with a different model,... both fix the issue and i suspect changing the video in from display port would also have resolved the problem (the monitor/TV did not support anything but display port as a input)

so before you blame the motherboard hardware, try testing with a different display or video in port or with a different video card model

HP Recommended

But both displays I am using work perfectly fine when i use either the NVS 310 OR integrated video.
the only issue is when the integrated video is enabled when the NVS 310 is installed.

and if we dial the problem back...

Forget about windows.

pretend I have NO HDD installed.

You would agree that I should see the POST screen when i boot a computer up with both integrated video and onboard video enabled?

HP Recommended

no the z320 does not simply clone the video stream, you actually have two separate video devices installed sometimes the time to initialise the secondary display  will exceed the time the bios allows for entry (but this is rare)  motherboards which can display a image on both monitors at the same time while booting  are usually AIO's which were based on laptop derived motherboards but the Intel being a CPU/GPU solution might be able to do this i personally haven't' looked into this

in general. i suspect  your nvidia cards vbios is not playing nice with the z230 bios/Intel GPU vbios,.. something that can be easily checked by buying a different model  card off ebay for under $15:00 USD

you can also still have a issue with the current CPU based video and the display/input used, again while rare it does happen

neither of the above has been ruled out

HP Recommended

HI Again,

The Z230 only displays its POST message on one output. It doesn't "clone" the display output to both cards.

By default, previous to about BIOS version 1.58 or something it defaulted to the addin card showing the POST screen. This is why I always update the BIOS so I can select the integrated graphics as the default / primary display through the BIOS.
I get what you mean by the time it takes to initialize the display, but i don't think this is the issue either. Without a HDD plugged in, the POST screen will be outputting the error of no boot device. After sitting here for 15 mins that message has still not come up on any of the screens.

I have now tested with the following cards

Quadro K600 - same issue
NVS 295 - Same Issue

ETON ET856 - Same Issue (Probs an AMD Card)
Palit Geforce 8400GS - Same Issue

HP Recommended

I didnt address your last suggestion.
"you can also still have a issue with the current CPU based video and the display/input used, again while rare it does happen"

I think this can be ruled out as both of the displays I am using work perfectly fine with the integrated graphics. When the integrated graphics is ONLY being used. 
I can use the monitor which has has Displayport, HDMI and DVI all work with the integrated chip (using adapters of course) the TV I am using has VGA and HDMI, both work with the integrated chip with adapters.

HP Recommended

i can't seem to get through to you that what works in a single display setup may not be compatible in a dual display setup

you seem dead set on blaming the motherboard so be it,................

HP Recommended

But as i have said, I have used the NVS 310 cards on a plethora of Z230's all the while having integrated display active and Add In card active.
All the Z230's that I send out run 24/7, set to reboot once a day. Yes I get problems from time to time, but I have never seen this issue and I have rolled out about 60-80 boxes all using dual display outputs (between 2 and 5) and only using NVS 310 cards. the 6 NVS 310 Cards where working in another Z230 with dual display setup utilising the integrated graphics. When I came across this problem on this machine I am trying to get going, I tested all the cards again (2 cards + Integrated)  in a reference computer outputting to 5 screens. all worked.

These machines and cards are mass marketed / produced.

They cant be selling hardware that is randomly hit and miss.
The NVS Card is listed as an optional Part on HP's Z230 product page.

The NVS Cards have HP Stickers on them. and upon checking them a few have different BIOS versions. So if there was an issue / conflict involving the vbios of the NVS card you would think this would have been addressed...

I have tested with 6  NVS 310 cards.

So surely the chances of 6 cards that work perfectly fine in the machine would be incredible low, if non existent, of them conflicting with the integrated chip.

And this issue is occurring on 3 boxes, from a batch of about 15 i bought a few months back.
If it is the mobo so be it, I can repurpose for something else... but if it isn't the mobo, then I would like to resolve the issue.. if possible.
I'm getting another batch of Z230's next week and I will bet my bottom dollar that I can take these exact same cards, whack them in all of those machines and I will be able to use dual displays with the cards and the integrated chip.
I reckon I have just lucked out with these 3.

HP Recommended

again,....you need to look at the video display cards and display devices/cables and which inputs and or adapters are used

try moving the display device from one video controller to another, then do the same with the cables swap dvi for hdmi or display port

and again test by replacing the video card with another model

HP Recommended

in one of my previous posts I did say that I have tested plugging the cables from the NVS 310 into the Intel and vice versa and they work.

Maybe i'm just dumb, and sorry for sounding argumentative, but i don't understand how a DVI cable for instance that plugs into a DP to DVI adapter,  and works with both the intel chip and NVS card can suddenly be a problem when the intel chip is enabled.

Could you explain to me how a cable or an adapter that works when either card is used by itself can suddenly become a problem when used in conjunction with another known working cable adapter combo?

If you could please explain the technical reasoning behind your thinking, maybe this will help me understand?

HP Recommended

this is not a forum for in depth technical explanations so i will keep this in general explanations

adapters can be active or passive, they can change a signals properties,.... the port in use and how it behaves is influenced by the monitor's input circuits and both of the above can be influenced by a video cards vbios and video out signal

your video issue is cause by a interaction of the video card(s), the monitor/TV device(s) and the video port(s) in use and possibly the cables/adapters this is what makes it so hard to id the cause of the problem and why doing tests of the devices by themselves will not isolate the problem

for the VERY LAST TIME...replace the video card!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.