Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

PCIe SSD for Z4 G4

HP Recommended
Z4 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We need to add a 2nd SSD to a Z4 G4. It is an i7-X model so it only has one M.2 slot on the mainboard. A 2nd M.2 SSD therefore needs to be on an x4 PCIe adapter card, but there are none listed in the Z4 G4 QuickSpecs.

We want 1TB MLC (because it will see heavy use).

When we asked through official channels we were told to use Y1T52AA, but that is a TLC drive. When pressed, the official answer was "thats the only option" which is utter nonsense.

It looks to me as though T9H98AA is the same thing except with an MLC drive. Can anyone confirm that? Can anyone think of a reason it would not work for us?

8 REPLIES 8
DGroves
Level 11
4,508 4,491 411 943
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TLC ssd's are the rule now as they are cheaper per gigabyte to make but also have shorter write life span 

HP may have said this as they no longer have any older ssd models available due to makers switching to the TLC 64 layer nand based models

it's getting very hard to buy a MLC based ssd as ssd makers are phasing them out but if you can find one there is nothing preventing it from working in your system as long as the ssd is a pci-e x4  interface

i think the samsung pro ssd's are still mlc based (note the "PRO") along with the sm961 model and the older sm951 which is available in nvme and sata interfaces so be sure you buy the nvme one

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7762/samsung-sm961-1tb-2-nvme-pcie-ssd-review/index.html

B-Flow
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the input, but it doesnt really answer our questions:

Is the T9H98AA (which IS in stock at disty right now) an MLC M.2 on a PCIe card, and is there any conceivable reason it would not work in a Z4 G4?

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,508 4,491 411 943
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

as i stated previously "ANY" pci-e  nvme based SSD will work in your HP system

and a simple 4 min google search, told me the  T9H98AA uses MLC Nand

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-z-turbo-drive-g2-solid-state-drive-1-tb-pci-express-3-0-x4-nvme-t9h...

the only possible issue is when you try to use the HP pci-e ssd carrier card in a non HP workstation (it will not work)

the ssd will work, however you will have to use a non HP ssd carrier card this HP card is the same one used in the z820/840 models along with the new Z4 models

0 Kudos
B-Flow
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DGroves wrote:

as i stated previously "ANY" pci-e  nvme based SSD will work in your HP system

In this instance we have to use HP parts as the client expects all components to be warrantied by HP. 🙂

@DGroves wrote:

the ssd will work, however you will have to use a non HP ssd carrier card this HP card is the same one used in the z820/840 models along with the new Z4 models

I'm confused: why would we need a non HP carrier card? Why would we need a carrier card at all? The link at Cnet you provided, like the QuickSpecs, says "half-height half-length form-factor" which sounds a like a carrier card.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,508 4,491 411 943
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sigh,.... go back and READ WHAT I WROTE, i said that if you try to use the HP pci-e carrier card in a non HP workstation

the above information was simply included as many people have tried to use this  ssd card on other systems and spent much time before realising the SSD was fine but the HP pci-e ssd card card is model specific and only works on the hp systems hp designed it for

0 Kudos
B-Flow
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for clarifying that.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,508 4,491 411 943
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

one last thing, if you expect hp to warranty the system, you will either need to buy the system with the ssd included

or you must buy the turbo z card from HP direct

many resellers of this card are not a hp authorized dealer for workstations, as such hp will not honor any warranty on the SSD kit. if you do go the 3rd party route check with hp first to confirm that they are a authorized  reseller for the hp workstation line and not the consumer line

0 Kudos
Bobby_Boucher
2 1 0 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Associate Professor Groves needs to work on his people skills...

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation