Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After upgrading BIOS to v2.29 PXE boot is not working anymore  - when trying to obtain an IP address I get the error message "proxyDHCP offers have been received. No DHCP offers have been received".

It's 100% no network/NIC error though because in Windows DHCP works just fine, the PC obtains an IP address without any problem.

We need PXE boot at work to roll out Windows (7, 10) to our workstations, so basically the 8200s that are on BIOS v2.29 are useless to us.

Any suggestions? BIOS downgrade? Where can I find older (e.g. v2.15, I know this version is working) BIOS images?

Thanks in advance,

tobias

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

We are seeing the exact same error on the one HP 8200 SFF that we upgraded for BIOS Testing. We have a bunch of other 8200's that are still on an earlier version and they are still fully functional so we will not be upgrading to the v2.29 BIOS. So your not alone.

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know! Still I'm sad that no one else has replied to my post yet, so this problem stays unsolved. And it's getting worse: more and more 8200s with 2.29 showing up in our company where we cannot install Windows. 😞

HP Recommended

I agree, no acknowledgment from anyone at HP to even say that they are looking into the issue is not good.

I also hate the fact that they made the patch so that it cannot be rolled back to an earlier version, which means until they fix the BIOS issue you have a brick sitting around.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5037932&swItemId=vc_165224_1&swEnvOid=405...

Have you stopped the installation of the bad BIOS so that it doesn't infect additional computers?

I'm fortunate that this was only on a test machine so it's only bricked the one PC.

HP Recommended

> I also hate the fact that they made the patch so that it cannot be rolled back to an earlier version,

> which means until they fix the BIOS issue you have a brick sitting around.

Back in the Dark Ages (20+ years ago), the local computer technician had a PROM BURNER.

He could physically remove the PRAM chip from one motherboard, insert it into the device, copy its contents to a floppy-disk(!), remove it, return it to the motherboard, and physically remove the PRAM (Programmable RAM) chip from the "bricked" motherboard, rewrite the contents from the floppy-disk to the PRAM, and re-insert the PRAM into the motherboard.

Voila!  A "de-bricked" motherboard. :generic:

HP Recommended

Yeah, a simple acknowledgement by the support staff would be a start.

Yes of course I stopped the updating, by "showing up" I mean already (previously) updated ones showing up during the course of our Windows 10 roll-out. Which are more than I hoped 😞

HP Recommended

Bumping this thread. Maybe someone at HP will notice and reply.

HP Recommended

It sure doesn't hurt to try but they have ignored us for several weeks and I don't see that changing

:HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

Bumping it again. We'd have to throw away those machines otherwise and new ones are not going to be from HP 😉

HP Recommended

This is a "user-to-user" forum, not an official path to HP Support.

From: Software and driver results for HP Compaq 8200 Elite Convertible Minitower PC

I see:

Version / File size / Release Date

v02.28 Rev.A 17.2 MB May 8, 2015  Details Download

v02.27 Rev.A 17.2 MB Mar 13, 2015  Details Download

2.25 Rev. D 17.2 MB Mar 5, 2014  Details Download

2.24 Rev. A 17.2 MB Oct 11, 2013  Details Download

2.23 Rev. A 17.2 MB May 28, 2013  Details Download

2.21 Rev. A 15.8 MB Jul 9, 2012  Details Download

2.15 Rev. A 15.8 MB Nov 28, 2011  Details Download

2.14 Rev. A 15.8 MB Nov 1, 2011  Details Download

2.09 Rev. A 15.8 MB Jul 11, 2011  Details Download

2.06 Rev. A 15.8 MB Jun 15, 2011  Details Download

Note that HP could be issuing a BIOS update for the Meltdown/Spectre vulnerability.

It's my impression that they are doing so for their newest systems, and "working backward" towards older systems.

I don't know if the current BIOS will prevent the installation of the older BIOS levels.

I don't know if holding "Windows-B" and then power-on will cause the "emergency" regression of the BIOS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.