Help4Sterling
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Pins on motherboard disconnected and need to know proper way to reconnect

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a6430f
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

While installing an extra harddrive into my system, I believed the pins on the motherboard needed to be modified.  I stupidly did now note their original position and now, although the harddrive is connected, the system will not boot, even though the original harddrive is still connected.  I need to know the proper placement for the pins.  

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,798 32,920 3,069 7,574
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Help4Sterling

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Which "pins" are you talking about -- the SATA drive connectors? 

Or, the small pins to which stuff like the drive LED, power LED, power button (etc) are connected?

If it's the SATA drive connectors, then the problem is most likely that when you connect what is the "second" drive to you, the system thinks it is the "first" drive, tries to boot from it -- and fails.

If that is the case, then connect ONLY the original drive and confirm that the system still boots.  It does that because there is only ONE drive to boot from.

If you have multiple SATA drive connectors on the motherboard, and multiple cables, you will have to experiment to determing which SATA cable is for the "first" drive and connect your original drive to that one, and your "second" drive to a different one.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
DGroves
Level 11
4,701 4,675 443 994
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wrong forum, this is the busineness/workstation forum please repost in the Desktop forum

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/

you might also want to include the jumper number (example:  JP14) of the  jumper blocks you changed and if possible take a picture of it and include this or else your chances of a reply is slim

i also recomend you download your models, user and service manuals from HP as they usually cover the jumpers on the motherboard and their location/function

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01374050

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation