Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Tower Workstation
Linux

Hello everyone, I have run into a very annoying problem.

I need to disable Secure Boot on my HP Tower Station, but I don't seem to know the BIOS Admin Password. I need to disable Secure Boot to install a new OS. Here are the Specs of the Device: 

Product Name: HP Z240 Tower Station

System BIOS: N51 Ver. 01.74 12/04/2018 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There is no such thing as a default admin P/W in any HP business desktop PC or workstation.

The passwords are all cleared the same way...by removing a jumper.

Your only option is to follow the guidance in the service manual, and you will have to hope that no one enabled the stringent security option in the BIOS, because that prevents the jumper from clearing the password, and you would have to purchase a new or refurbished motherboard that doesn't have a BIOS P/W set.

It shouldn't take you more than 5 or 10 minutes to open the case, find the jumper, remove it and clear the P/W.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to clear the BIOS password by removing a jumper on the motherboard.

See chapter 5 of the service manual, pages 82 & 83 for how to clear the P/W.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04897695

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thank you for the quick reply.. I was hoping I wouldn't have to mess with the hardware at all. Is it possible there is a default ADMIN password I could try? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There is no such thing as a default admin P/W in any HP business desktop PC or workstation.

The passwords are all cleared the same way...by removing a jumper.

Your only option is to follow the guidance in the service manual, and you will have to hope that no one enabled the stringent security option in the BIOS, because that prevents the jumper from clearing the password, and you would have to purchase a new or refurbished motherboard that doesn't have a BIOS P/W set.

It shouldn't take you more than 5 or 10 minutes to open the case, find the jumper, remove it and clear the P/W.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.