2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Please check my RAM it's can use with Z420 or not

HP Recommended
HP Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I try to upgrade RAM with My Z420 workstation I put it to DIMM1 and DIMM8 but it's not work, Please check my RAM in a picture it's can use with Z420 or not.

Thank you so much

20180203_235107.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
SDH
Level 10
2,327 2,277 218 675
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://isvpatch.external.hp.com/HPPTF/drvlib/docs/Z420_Memory_Configurations.pdf

Read that, and note that the memory HP specifies is ECC.  Your memory ends with U instead of E and that generally means it is not ECC..... it is unbuffered (unregistered) but not ECC from what I am seeing.

From the QuickSpecs for the Z420:  "Note:  Only unbuffered DDR3 DIMMs are supported."  However, they should have stated:  "Note:  Only unbuffered ECC DDR3 DIMMs are supported" in the Z420.

Look up:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04164501.pdf?ver=3

copy that PDF for your files, and then change the version at the very end to 4 and then 5.  Copy those down too, and note the changes.  The 1866 memory came about for the ZX20 series of workstations that are version 2 with the later boot block date which can run the faster V2 processors.  The old QuickSpecs have outdated info.  This HP series of documents has correct updated info.... the best you'll find.

Note that even for the 1866 memory the Z420 always is ECC unbuffered.  You might be very happy with 8 sticks of 2GB each for 16 total.  This also results in all memory sockets being filled with identical RAM, highly recommended by HP engineers, and what I'm doing with my testbed Z420 v2.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
mookai1973
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi,

Thank you so much for your information.

Kai
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation