MODES16
4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Problems with z420 E3F75EC#ABA workstation almost always on idle 1.19ghz

HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, basically I found a big difference between same machines Z420 but one with a 1620 xeon and the other with 1650. The ono with the 1620 tend always to stay at his lower speed (around 1.19) even when I open up excel or doing some query on SQL with access or some of my programs and rise up speed only if I open up programs that use 3D functions. So my computer for general use is very slow and it's very annoying because the other machine with 1650 just starting windows get to 3.0ghz. What should I check for try fix it ??

The bios is the last one available updated yesterday. Thank you for any help

3 REPLIES 3
DGroves
Level 11
4,499 4,482 410 940
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

first of all understand that the listed turbo speeds that intel lists for a chip model is the maximum speed it might be able to do when only using 1 or 2 cores of a 4 or more core cpu

this max speed is not guarenteed, and does vary between chips of the same model and absolutly will be diffrent between diffrent model cpu's

you want your system with the slower chip to be as fast as the faster cpu? then replace the slower chip with the same cpu as the faster one or a chip that is faster than your current 1650

last, memory, and drive speeds  play a part in overall system responsiveness

and the video card and video card memory itself will make a large diffrence in 3d performance

0 Kudos
BambiBoomZ
Level 7
715 687 45 192
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MODES16,

In Windows 7, the default settings under: Control Panel > Power Options are configured to save power by running the CPU at lower speeds- idling as often as possible. In Win 7, the power plan when set to "High Performance" sustains the higher clock speeds for a greater percentage of the time.

Suggestion: If you don't have a CPU monitor - but it reads as though you do- download and install HWMonitor which will display the clock speeds of every core and report minimum, maximum, and current.

Set the Windows 10 equivalent of Power Options (assuming it exists) to : High Performance- that is, a non-power-saving configuration and note the results.  Typically, under the High Performance plan, the Maximum column will show the CPU rising to the top clock speed (~3791Mhz for E5-1620) at some point during booting  and tending to stay towards the higher speeds except for idling cores. Under the balanced power-saving plan the clock speeds  hover ~1937MHz or similar until, as you mention, a demanding aplication is started and a file loaded.

The E5-1620 (4-core) clock speeds are higher than E5-1650 (6-core) and consequentially have a higher single-thread rate, making the E5-1620 faster in 3D applications and the E5-1650 better for multithreaded uses.

Performance  and startup time can be noticeably improved in a z420 first series system by carefully reducing the applications and  background programs at startup and also reducing the number of services, for example, a lot of scheduled tasks.

BambiBoomZ

0 Kudos
MODES16
Author
4 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After I did a full format and reinstall windows 10 (so not coming again from a windows 7 upgrade) the computer speed get back to normal behaviour so I guess it was some setting that not went well during the migration process or maybe some drivers not updated in someway. Best regards

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation