Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing dual CPUs, interconnection error message appears.  I have looked other pages suggesting BIOS update, CPU change and so on.

I have another suggestion for you to try before giving up.

I had the same problem.  I just removed my CPU0 from dual CPU z820.  After putting CPU back and turned the PC on, beep came up telling me the interconnection is not established.  I checked this forum and found several answers to try,  all of which did not solve my problem.  I check z820 with single CPU.  Both worked OK and when I put both of them  back on to the mother board,    QPI connection error pops up and press F1 will put me to the normal bootup.   It the processor itself is wrong, it will not boot.  It will halt.  

If your case is similar to mine, then,  try to clean the contact surface of your CPU, and  take a very close look at the LGA2011 CPU pins.  

look from four different direction to see smooth surface and to check any abberation of array, carefully touch to see and deviation.  This is very very fine process you might even use magnifying glass.  put your CPU back to the CPU holder,

and with the first holding pin pressed, press secondary pin up and down, maybe ten times  which is  kind of pressing CPU slightly up and down.

this gets rid of oxidized surface preventing electrical contact.   for my case, it solved the problem.

even if you put the same CPU to the same place.  you might notice that contact points on the surface of CPU change a bit making electrically insulated making QPi ineffective.

Just try this primitive way.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Great tip.  

I always use the highest percent isopropyl alcohol I can find at the drug store for cleaning thermal paste off, and to clean the processor contacts and memory contacts while doing a processor upgrade on these workstations.  Make sure to just have a damp cloth or paper towel for that.... don't have it so wet that drops can get under the stainless steel cover over the processors themselves.

Having the first processor hold-down lever in place and using the second hold-down lever as you described to gently ensure best contact between the socket pins and the processor pads is something I'll be doing from now on.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

most people forget that intel only guarantees 10 or so insertion/removals for this socket type,....... something to keep in mind

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking a note of my comment.   I tried most of the method posted here, none worked for me. using appropriate chemical is very important. Alcohol takes lipid or oil away, in particular, isopropanol is for removing oil residue. I think this is enough.

But when it comes to making 2011 pins to corresponding surface,  the number of contact is 2011. 

not all of them might not get electrical contacts.  I happened to notice that when pressing one of the CPU holding arm of the CPU mounter, CPU itself was  pressed 2mm or so.  And I thought pressing second arm several times up and down might abrase contact surface.  This worked for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.