Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

We run a bunch of those E5-1650 v2 fine processors without issues on the Z420 v2 motherboards. And, on the Z620 v2 motherboards also. I actually prefer the Z620 v2 running on just one processor as do Bambi and Brian.

I wish it was so simple, but your current combo is one of ours (of motherboard and processor).

I'd wait to get the memory I suggested, even just one stick if you can justify about $12.00...

p.s. Noctua NT-H1 is the only one I use... for many reasons but the most important to me is how it spreads with a latex glove covered fingertip. Plus its performance, plus its non-conductivity.

HP Recommended

Given that you started with 32GB sticks I figured you might be interested in my 16GB experiments more than those using the 8GB sticks. This will be brief and include some pictures and enough info to get you going on sticks from Micron (which I used personally). Also a bit of info on other vendors HP has used for these particular sticks. Note they are 2Rx4 rank sticks... never mix ranks.

Here's the 8 sticks I used:

All HP Micron 8 x 16GB sticksAll HP Micron 8 x 16GB sticks

Close up view...Close up view...

Here's two testing results. Same results when running the HP memory test on the Z420 v1 and v2 and the Z620 v1 and v2. Success with the Z600 v2 also which was running dual fastest processors available for that workstation (which had a max speed of 1333 MHz, which results in the auto-downregulation of these stick's memory speed from 1866 to 1333):

IMG_0907.JPGIMG_0919.JPG

Finally, here are some notes from when I was figuring this all out. The HPE and the non-E HP memory can be identical but with slightly different part numbers. Note that HP often has dual part numbers for identical parts (an Assembly P/N and a Spares P/N) adding to items to search for. Sometimes searching for the memory's OEM part ID on the OEM's label will find you HP recycled memory when HP is not in an eBay ad. I choose HP memory over all others if possible because it reportedly has been "binned" to perform to highest specs. Not sure if that applies to his memory generation, however. Below are my unfiltered notes for you to work from.

Good luck with your project, and please update us when appropriate.

"

712383-581 1866 E2Q95AA, and have seen SAM/SKH/Micron versions. These are HPE version.

There also is an AS PN 712383-081 1866 (with SP PN of 715274-001) on HP holo label

Samsung version:
M393B2G70QH0-CMAQ8 M 16GB 2RX4 PC3-14900R-13-12-E2-D3 (or D4)
M393B2G70DB0-CMAQ2M

SKHynix version:
HMT42GR7BFR4C-RD T8 or T4

Micron Version
MT36JSF2G72PZ-1G9E1HF

Dell uses these in addition to HP with code numbers:
SNP12C23C/16G (main Dell number)
Have seen Micron, SKHynix, Samsung

HP Recommended

Since you seem to want to really ramp up that workstation make sure:

1. Your power supply is the highest capacity 600W HP one. P/N 623193-001 SP P/N 632911-001.  We found that perhaps after generation 4 of this version of the power supply only a single PCIe supplemental power cable is present. Gen 5 and Gen 6 don't have a second one. You can see the generation on the yellow label on the power supply.

2. Add in one of the Z420 airflow guide to help cool the front memory bank. For best price search under both SP 663346-001 = AS 663070-001. This draws heat from that front bank up and out through the power supply.

3. Be sure you have a front HP case cooling fan black plastic fan holder that snaps in place and also a HP front 92 x 25 mm case fan with the brown plastic 4-pin plug end. Usually included, with numbers to search for:

604781-001 = -003.jpg

4. I always upgrade our single-processor builds of the Z420/Z620 workstations to the double sized Z440 heatsink/fan, part number 749554-001. It fits perfectly in either of those workstations, both v1 and v2 and even fits under the dual memory bank cooler "saddle" that the Z620 uses. These come with a wider 6-hole plug end but just use the first 5 holes on the plug for a Z420/Z620 5-pin motherboard's CPU cooler header and the 6th hole can hang 1/8" off the other end (it is just a second ground jumper). There are two versions, the older with 2 screws at the rear, and the newer designed version has one screw front and one back. I like those best and be sure to tell the seller exactly what to look for. Here's a pic, and both types will work fine but this one is engineered a bit better. At about 16.00 USD it is a wise investment for a potentially hot running box:

s-l1600.jpg

That's about it...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.