Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

In past posts and discussion in this forum, I got lots of advice on processors, SSHDs, cooling for an upgrade of a 2009 Z800. It is the initial version and can only use W55XX processors. I’ve accumulated all the new components and am now ready to put it together and get it into use.

The original machine:

> one E5506 processor, stock cooling

> 3GB ram

> Win XP Professional

> 250GB SATA HDD

> Nvidia Quadro FX380 256GB

> 850 W power supply

Planned upgrade:

> two W5580 processors

> liquid cooling kit

> 48 GB ram

> Win 7 Pro on CD

>Nvidia Quadro 4000 graphics 2000 GB

> Intel 750 series 400 GB PCIe SSD, to be used as boot and applications drive

> the SATA will be kept as a data storage drive

> 1110 W power supply.

I haven’t rebuilt a computer in many years, so I need to get detailed help in updating and configuring BIOS and vBIOS, graphics drivers, etc, and starting up. I hope someone can help me with a basic cook book.

And also, another question: Do I need to do anything to the old machine before changing the components?

Thanks a lot!

Walter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the 4 intel "SCU" ports is the name intel gave to the 4 SATA ports that run off of the x58 chipset these ports must use the correct RST (enterprise ) driver as the consumer RST driver lacks support for thex58 chipsets SATA ports

and yes, this RST driver when unpacked will have a Dos/F-6 folder which contains the nessary driver to enable the SCU ports during  windows 7 setup (you can also slipstream the driver(s) using NTLite

the latest RST driver which still works with the z800 is RST 12.9.0.1001 or  RST v11.7.4.1001

note that to use the control console, you must first install DotNet 3.5 before installing the console, failure to install dotnet first will result in a command console that crashes, and even a uninstall/reinstall will not fix the crashes

you obviously update the bios once you have a  OS installed, HP provides a update service pack (SPxxxx) file that when run unpacks into a folder and will allow updating within windows, or from a usb key that is bootable or from the bios itself using a usb key that has the bios rom file on it. all directions on how to update are contained in the (SPxxxx) file

you install the windows 7 Os then uncompress the driver package by running the (SPxxxx) file, then from device manager

point the driver location request to that spxxxx folder, with the check subfolders box checked, for each unknown device in device manager.

you might want to also run the intel Windows RST setup, to install the program in windows that allows you to configure the drive cache settings, and manage any drives attached to the SATA or SCU ports

the LSI SAS/SATA controller has a older builtin win 7 driver which can be updated from the windows updates or from the broadcom LSI driver page for the LSI 1068E chips

if you PM me directly (personal message) on this forum i can help you create a  HP z800 OEM win 7 install disk

if you use a Retail win 7 disk use that disks key to activate.

if using a MS OEM, disk you may have to call Ms after Os install and give them your HP key number to activate

if using a HP z800 OEM disk, activation is automatic during the windows setup

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

for the z800 you need the RST driver ver 11.5.4.1001 Rev. A, i do not recomend later versions as the current releases may not support the z800 x58 chipset

during setup  install, press F-6 "have disk" for loading the RST driver when prompted

this driver, and all others can be found together here:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_Driverpack_Matrix_x64.html

For the z820/840 you will need the Intel RSTe driver instead of the RST driver in order to install using the "SCU" ports that are the four ones next to the two blue or grey SATA ports

during setup  install, press F-6 "have disk" for loading the RSTe driver when prompted

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22584/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Enterprise-for-Intel-...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27308/Intel-RSTe-AHCI-SCU-Software-RAID-Driver-for-Windows...

you can use either the v3 or the v4 build for win XP, 7, but win 10 requires the v4 RSTe build

i do not recomend any 32bit OS, if possible use a 64bit OS the same applys for XP, the v3 RSTe driver may install under XP

but if not then you will need to check the HP site for a XP driver as intel no longer has references to XP for most of their products listed online

if you go with windows 7 64bit or newer, you can download all drivers in a single package from HP

for XP try the main driver page, and select XP, 32bit

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z800-workstation/3718645/drivers

HP Recommended

@DGrovesDGroves,

Thanks, we're getting somewhere.

You wrote: 

you will need the Intel RSTe driver in order to install using the "SCU" ports that are the four ones next to the two blue or grey SATA ports

during setup  install, press F-6 "have disk" for loading the RSTe driver when prompted

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22584/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Enterprise-for-Intel-...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27308/Intel-RSTe-AHCI-SCU-Software-RAID-Driver-for-Windows...

you can use either the v3 or the v4 build for win XP, 7, but win 10 requires the v4 RSTe build

QUESTION: What are the SCU ports? I will be using W7, 64 bit. Do I load this driver first?

You wrote:

if you go with windows 7 64bit or newer, you can download all drivers in a single package from HP . . . . 

QUESTION: Is installing Win 7 the next step, with drivers from the site above?

QUESTION: When do I update the BIOS and vBIOS?

Remember that I'm a real newby at this. Thanks!

Walter

HP Recommended

the 4 intel "SCU" ports is the name intel gave to the 4 SATA ports that run off of the x58 chipset these ports must use the correct RST (enterprise ) driver as the consumer RST driver lacks support for thex58 chipsets SATA ports

and yes, this RST driver when unpacked will have a Dos/F-6 folder which contains the nessary driver to enable the SCU ports during  windows 7 setup (you can also slipstream the driver(s) using NTLite

the latest RST driver which still works with the z800 is RST 12.9.0.1001 or  RST v11.7.4.1001

note that to use the control console, you must first install DotNet 3.5 before installing the console, failure to install dotnet first will result in a command console that crashes, and even a uninstall/reinstall will not fix the crashes

you obviously update the bios once you have a  OS installed, HP provides a update service pack (SPxxxx) file that when run unpacks into a folder and will allow updating within windows, or from a usb key that is bootable or from the bios itself using a usb key that has the bios rom file on it. all directions on how to update are contained in the (SPxxxx) file

you install the windows 7 Os then uncompress the driver package by running the (SPxxxx) file, then from device manager

point the driver location request to that spxxxx folder, with the check subfolders box checked, for each unknown device in device manager.

you might want to also run the intel Windows RST setup, to install the program in windows that allows you to configure the drive cache settings, and manage any drives attached to the SATA or SCU ports

the LSI SAS/SATA controller has a older builtin win 7 driver which can be updated from the windows updates or from the broadcom LSI driver page for the LSI 1068E chips

if you PM me directly (personal message) on this forum i can help you create a  HP z800 OEM win 7 install disk

if you use a Retail win 7 disk use that disks key to activate.

if using a MS OEM, disk you may have to call Ms after Os install and give them your HP key number to activate

if using a HP z800 OEM disk, activation is automatic during the windows setup

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.