Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z 600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I'm trying to up grade my Z 600 installing 3 RAm modul 4 GB each made by XIEDE PC 1333 -10600 -1930 but I'm not able to usen the system reply with error message 207 RAn non compatible, How can I solve the problem?

BIOS versio 3.6

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is good news..... for the Z600 a boot block date of 1/7/10 is proof of a version 2 motherboard.  For both the Z400 and the Z800 the v2 boot block date is 11/10/09.  All the v1 motherboards have a boot block date of 1/30/09.

The basic reality is that there are two main ways to have HP not certify an option for a motherboard that is certified for another motherboard in the same family is that the engineering does not allow it, or that it was not worth the trouble to do all the testing to prove it would work to enterprise level standards.  Some things that did not exist earlier during the certification phase do now, and may work perfectly now.  Or, an item was so expensive back in time that only the highest end workstation in a family would reasonably receive that investment by the client that HP would not take the trouble to certify it in lower end workstations in that family.  So, just because HP says it is not certified does not mean with certainty that it won't work.

I've had the benefit of having easy access to the version 2 Z400/Z600/Z420/Z620 workstations for years now, and also to the memory for those.  I have experimented with the memory and take to heart the comments from HP that the memory controllers can down-regulate memory speed to match that of the slowest memory stick in place, or to match a slower processor if the memory sticks are rated faster.  I've also been able to use eBay to physically see the HP memory sticks and view their Micron/Samsung/SKHynix/etc. labels and even get the specification publications for those.  Over time one starts to see certain patterns, and realize that many of the workstations are built to server standards, and to see that some HP server memory actually also is some HP workstation memory.  Then, add in the auto-down-regulation of memory speed and you come to the realization that perhaps the very fastest best memory that works in certain HP servers might also work in certain fast HP workstations, and even certain slower HP workstations.  And then you experiment.

So, here was the finding.  There is a HP server memory that can run at the fastest speed that the Z620/Z820 v2 workstations can.  That same memory can down-regulate to run at the slower speeds that the Z600/Z800 v2 processors can.  This is ECC registered memory.  It will work also perfectly on a v2 Z420, but not on a v2 Z400.  This will not work on any v1 ZX00.  I will show you only the type we settled on and bought lots of for a project centered on a number of Z420 v2 workstations that needed to stay in a tight budget.  There are other OEM suppliers of this HP server memory than the one I'll show, but I did not test them.  I did test some non-HP identical server memory (such as Dell/IBM/Lenovo), and that worked fine too.  I prefer the HP recycled memory because that has been binned to a higher standard, reportedly.  I have not seen a downside to running identical Dell or IBM/Lenovo recycled memory, however.  W10Pro64 seems to like lots of breathing room and the performance benefit is clearly evident at or above 32GB total

The memory is Samsung M393B1G70QH0-CMA 8GB sticks running at 1866 MHz max in the ZX20 v2 workstations.... we got quantities for as low as $9.00-11.00 USD each, so it was pretty comfortable to load up a Z420/Z620/Z820 v2 with 8 sticks, or a Z600/Z800 v2 with 6 sticks.  It was nice to know that the memory would run later after we retired our Z600 workstations fully as fast as memory ever can every run in the ZX20 v2 workstations.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

use the sites search feature this question has been asked/replied to many many times and poster "SDH" has written several very informative replies on this subject

you can also read the "HP z600 service manual" for correct ram type (google for the manual)

HP Recommended

In this time of need I'm happy to share some unexpected secrets.  But, first, we need to know if your Z600 is a version 1 or a version 2.  That is quite easy to see by getting into BIOS and going to the first tab and going down to see the boot block date.  My secret will only work on the version 2 Z600 and Z800.  It will not work on a version 1 or version 2 Z400.  Let us know.

HP Recommended

Hi SDh thanks for your attention my Z600 I guess it is a V2 on MoBo I can read the code 460864-003

HP Recommended

Boot block date needed..... it is in BIOS.

HP Recommended

Boot block date is 01/07/10.

HP Recommended

That is good news..... for the Z600 a boot block date of 1/7/10 is proof of a version 2 motherboard.  For both the Z400 and the Z800 the v2 boot block date is 11/10/09.  All the v1 motherboards have a boot block date of 1/30/09.

The basic reality is that there are two main ways to have HP not certify an option for a motherboard that is certified for another motherboard in the same family is that the engineering does not allow it, or that it was not worth the trouble to do all the testing to prove it would work to enterprise level standards.  Some things that did not exist earlier during the certification phase do now, and may work perfectly now.  Or, an item was so expensive back in time that only the highest end workstation in a family would reasonably receive that investment by the client that HP would not take the trouble to certify it in lower end workstations in that family.  So, just because HP says it is not certified does not mean with certainty that it won't work.

I've had the benefit of having easy access to the version 2 Z400/Z600/Z420/Z620 workstations for years now, and also to the memory for those.  I have experimented with the memory and take to heart the comments from HP that the memory controllers can down-regulate memory speed to match that of the slowest memory stick in place, or to match a slower processor if the memory sticks are rated faster.  I've also been able to use eBay to physically see the HP memory sticks and view their Micron/Samsung/SKHynix/etc. labels and even get the specification publications for those.  Over time one starts to see certain patterns, and realize that many of the workstations are built to server standards, and to see that some HP server memory actually also is some HP workstation memory.  Then, add in the auto-down-regulation of memory speed and you come to the realization that perhaps the very fastest best memory that works in certain HP servers might also work in certain fast HP workstations, and even certain slower HP workstations.  And then you experiment.

So, here was the finding.  There is a HP server memory that can run at the fastest speed that the Z620/Z820 v2 workstations can.  That same memory can down-regulate to run at the slower speeds that the Z600/Z800 v2 processors can.  This is ECC registered memory.  It will work also perfectly on a v2 Z420, but not on a v2 Z400.  This will not work on any v1 ZX00.  I will show you only the type we settled on and bought lots of for a project centered on a number of Z420 v2 workstations that needed to stay in a tight budget.  There are other OEM suppliers of this HP server memory than the one I'll show, but I did not test them.  I did test some non-HP identical server memory (such as Dell/IBM/Lenovo), and that worked fine too.  I prefer the HP recycled memory because that has been binned to a higher standard, reportedly.  I have not seen a downside to running identical Dell or IBM/Lenovo recycled memory, however.  W10Pro64 seems to like lots of breathing room and the performance benefit is clearly evident at or above 32GB total

The memory is Samsung M393B1G70QH0-CMA 8GB sticks running at 1866 MHz max in the ZX20 v2 workstations.... we got quantities for as low as $9.00-11.00 USD each, so it was pretty comfortable to load up a Z420/Z620/Z820 v2 with 8 sticks, or a Z600/Z800 v2 with 6 sticks.  It was nice to know that the memory would run later after we retired our Z600 workstations fully as fast as memory ever can every run in the ZX20 v2 workstations.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.