Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP Community,

please, I need your help to clearify some IT fog in my brain. 😊

I’ve got a HP Z420 Workstation with 8GB RAM (each DIMM with 2GB). I bought 4x new RAM each DIMM 8GB.

After installing the new RAM, the workstation:

• does not boot anymore.
  • does not make any sound at boot
  • blank screen
  • running the machine few minutes, all the fans are running at maximum, but still blank screen

I configured it back to the previous working configuration and the machine works fine again.
So, ist clear, there is something with the new RAM. After that, I installed each DIMM at the time to verify that there is no problem with the new RAM itself (the workstation did’nt start, so I guess the RAM is fine).

After that, I checked again the tecspecs of the cpu and the mainboard and here is where I need your help. The working configuration are 4 x 2GB. I attached a picture with details (named „oldRam“).

I bought Corsair 4x 8GB DIMMS (CMY32GX3M4A1600C9R)
VENGEANCE® Pro Series — 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1600MHz C9 Memory Kit (corsair.com)

The only main difference I can find that the Corsair RAM does not have an ECC. But this should be no problem.

I checked also the technical whitepaper and now I’m insecure what the capture „Supported memory modules“ on page 1 means. Its written that 2GB,4GB and 8GB PC3 unbuffered ECC DIMMs are supported. The third bullet says „2Gb“ and „4Gb“ based DIMMS are supported. Does it mean, if the RAM must be unbuffered and have ECC to use a 8GB RAM?

I’m totaly confused by now, maybe someone can help me to clarify why the new RAM does not work? I really would appreciate your help.

Some Ressources I used:
Technical Whitepaper (hp.com) (for Memory)

HP Z420 Workstation | HP® Kundensupport (the Workstation with an Xeon E5-1620).

Thank you very much in advance!

oldRam.jpeg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@technic_pat , welcome to the Community.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide.  If you look at Page 21 it explains the type of memory that is required.  It specifically states ECC memory.  This means that any other memory won't work.  Also, you are trying to add the latest, greatest, gaming memory to older technology.  This very seldom works.  You can contact the memory manufacturer's Tech Support to see what they have to say.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi old_geekster, 🙂

thank you for your help and providing me with the maintenance guide! So, now I'm sure I have to search for a ECC RAM.
You said something that I will use high performance gaming RAM for an older machine and this will seldom work.
I'm curios why? I thought, when I observe all necessary parameters of the workstations and choose memory within this range, this will be no problem? Could you explain me? Because it really narrows down which memory I can buy for this machine.

Thank you very in advance.

HP Recommended

@technic_pat 

The new gaming memory has much lower timings in many instances.  These timings are not always compatible with the ones in HP BIOS'es.  So, it is just not the speed that makes the difference.  You can use CPU-Z to find the manufacturer and timings for your current memory.  This information can be found in the section titled "SPD".  It will list the JEDEC's and any XMP's that are available.  JEDEC is the organization that publishes the standards for memory technologies.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

post your question in the workstation forum,

the z420 v2 motherboards with the fastest v2 cpu's can run the undocumented 1866mhz ECC Buffered dimm speed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.