Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z2 G4 Tower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there

I've had a search and can't find a specific answer - even after speaking with HP pre-sales! (they say after market cards are not supported!)

Looking to get a Z2 G4 Tower (i7/32gb ram with the 650w PSU) and wondered if I could bring over my existing RTX 2070 Super into it?

Card has the usual 1x6pin and 1x8pin power sockets and uses 215w.

(the biggest supported card on the Z2 is the Quadro RTX6000 which uses 295w)

Trying to find out if the PSU has sufficient cables on it to power and if not, what adaptors I'd need.

Thanks in advance

Paul

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

paulmduk,

As the HP Z2 G4 under consideration will have the 650W PSU, the RTX 2020 Super is rated for a minimum 650W PSU,  the 295W Quadro RTX 6000 is an option on a 650W system, and there are two listings on Passmark Performance Test for Z2 G4 systems using the RTX 2070 Super,  having 3D marks of 16188 and 13768 (the Passmark average 3D = 14842), it seems that the RTX 2070 Super may be used. The highest 3D in the Z2 G4 is 18145 using an RTX 2080. 

However, before purchase, confirm with HP sales the configuration of the Z2 G4 650W PSU PCIe power connections. It should be either 2X 6+2-pin  or 1X 8 + 1X6- pin connectors to accommodate the Quadro RTX 6000 which uses 1X 8 + 1X6.  Of course there are adapters if there is for example 2X 6-pin as in a z420. In my experience, It is very annoying to receive a new system and then have to shop and/or order and wait for a couple of simple adapters.

In a WS case that is designed to sacrifice some air flow for noise reduction, use a single fan blower style GPU as an open cooler, multifan design under load will significantly heat the case interior possibly resulting in thermal throttling.

BambiBoomZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.