Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

When I press F10, I see a black screen that shows 4 lines of system information, and says press ESC for startup menu. If I press ESC it just reboots, if I press any other key it also just reboots. Its a new HP 280 G2 Micro tower pc with free DOS. I am trying to CD boot so I need to get to the bios.

Why does the black screen disappear so fast? can I change that time

Why is it that even if I hold F9, F1, F11 I get the same results. No bios menu, no boot order menu nothing, but F10 would be written setup just at the bottom right part of the screen, F11- information, F9-boot order. 

Believe me I have tried this severally before posting here, is there something am missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Turns out that the additional NIC card installed was the problem.

The machine had a "pxe e61 media test failure" error. I swapped the hdd, ram and finally the extra NIC card that had been added as requested by user.

Now F10 works to bios. I'll install the NIC later (if possible) NIC card is a Dlink gigabit card

Thanks Skylarking :catvery-happy:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

When you press the power button, i'd follow by quickly and repeatedly pressing  F10 function key. 

Alternatively, if fast boot is enabled, press and hold F10 before you power on the computer.

According to the Maintenance And Service Manual , repeated pressing of F10/ holding F10 and powering on should let you into the BIOS. You can find all manual and other documents/downloads for your HP 820 G2 here. The Maintenance and Services Manual is worth a read.

Another method is to press ESC during POST and you should be presented with selection menu so presumably youd use arrow keys to highlight the desired option and then press ENTER key.

If this does not work, i'd try resetting BIOS to default values by pressing the clean CMOS button. Then rinse and repeat F10 procedutre to hopefully get into BIOS.

If this still does not work, i'd say try a PS2 keyboard which helped me on my Z210 some years ago. Unfortunately HP does not provide PS2 ports on your 820 G2 (so you're stuck with USB keyboards). As such, you may like to try another USB keyboard which may help you (with timing/interupt issues) to get into the BIOS.

If all this fails, i'd ring support since it shouldn't be so difficult.

Do note if you enabled 'stringent password' and subsequently forgot that (power on?) password, resetting via the jumper is not possible and you will have to replace the mobo in such a case.

[edited to add following]

Latest BIOS is at A07 so maybe worth updating it. See above link and click on "Software And Drivers" to find BIOS download.

HP Recommended

Turns out that the additional NIC card installed was the problem.

The machine had a "pxe e61 media test failure" error. I swapped the hdd, ram and finally the extra NIC card that had been added as requested by user.

Now F10 works to bios. I'll install the NIC later (if possible) NIC card is a Dlink gigabit card

Thanks Skylarking :catvery-happy:

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on my Compaq Preario SR2109UK. I reset the BIOS byusing thedip switch, plug in the power, unplug it and reset the dip switch again to its previous state. Same problem. My keyboard won't even work now, no matter what keyboard I plug in.

I will try to plug in a USB keyboard, see if that will work.

HP Recommended

The solution posted is for some unique situation that doesn't apply to me.

I have ENVY DESKTOP 750-514.  I am trying to enable Virtualization Technology and I need to get into BIOS setting at boot

and my F10 will not take me there.  It does nothing. 

I see the screen that I need, it just won't let me go there.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.