Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rod_bunny
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Recovery to different size media from HP System Recovery Disks.

HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF.

System Recovery Media: 8200 Elite Win7 64 (656368-B27) with supplemental Disk (631431-B23)

Getting that awesome error message of “the hard drive of this computer is smaller than the original shipped hard drive”

The issue is that they are the same size drives!

Both Have:

HDD Surrogate LBL

HP 500G 7.2K SATA3 6Gb

Spares No 636929-001

Difference is one is a Seagate, the other a WD.

The WD came out of another 9200 Elite that the motherboard died in.

I can’t put the 500Gb WD into the PC that had a Seagate in it AND install from the Recovery Disks.

I am 100% sure that I used the same System Recovery disks to install to 250Gb Samsung SSDs (that replaced the WD 500Gb drives) without issue.

PC BIOS is v02.01 on WD based PC and v02.06 on the Seagate.

Is there something in the BIOS that is recognising the previous hard drive configuration?

What is going on??

8 REPLIES 8
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

some hp recovery programs used to image the current C: partition and create a restore image from that.

this allows the restore image to be current but the size does grow over time

other recovery programs simply used a static image stored on the drive which never can be updated and will therefor allways be the same size

i don't know which method the 8200 elite uses

can you be more clear on  which system/drive the backup was made and specify if raid 0/1 was used

and which system/drive size you wish to restore to and if raid 0/1

0 Kudos
rod_bunny
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nothing to do with existing images, backups, etc on C or any other partition or RAID.

I'm restoring from the System Recovery Media ie CDs from HP for system recovery to a blank hard drive.

(This process will write over any and all existing partitions on a HDD with anything on it)

<quote>

The issue is that they are the same size drives!

Both Have:

HDD Surrogate LBL

HP 500G 7.2K SATA3 6Gb

Spares No 636929-001

Difference is one is a Seagate, the other a WD.

<\quote>

If I use another 500Gb Seagate (that came out of of a dead HP Compaq Pro 4300) the recovery will run OK.

Its choking on using the WD drives, even though they are the same HP Part Number.

Even though the models are both  8200 Elite, the PC SKUs differ as does the BIOS version:

QN089AW    v02.01 <Can restore to any size HDD

XL510AV    v02.06 <Cant restore to a WD HDD of the same size.

The software builds are the same (11WWCSHW601#SABG#DABG ) so I know I used the same process on the QN089AW model, that I successfully restored to 250Gb SSDs.

Something on the XL510AV model or in the BIOS is holding reference to the Seagate HDD and stopping the restore from happening.

0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,271 2,225 211 656
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've come up against strange things with used hard drives including HP drives that were for HP servers and which I wanted to use in HP workstations.  My theory was that there were deep sectors that had data/code that had been optimized for their original intended use.  Or, some program had added something to the deep normally invisible sectors that was preventing expected behavior of that drive.

I have seen breakthroughs in a good number of these cases by doing a very low level format of the odd-behaving drive, using my trusty bootable CD with DBAN on it.  This wipes the deep and superficial sectors and results in a truly "raw" drive.  For the 3 TB brand new HP server HDD that I could not get to work in my HP workstaiton.... it became visible to Disk Management after DBAN was run (which took a couple of days in a back room).  Then I could use Disk Management to create a partition, and then do a long type NTFS format (better than quick type), using default settings.  That HDD has run fine ever since.

I'd run DBAN, and then do that type of format on your odd drive, and try again.  Let us know if that works.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp will usually have more than one drive supplier for a system but each drive vender's drive can/will  be slightly diffrent in their actual usable drive space. i would visit each drive makers web site and compare the drives actual size by checking the drives detailed spec sheet if the drive you are trying to restore to is actually smaller in it's useable size then the mesg you are getting is correct and you should contact hp support and explane this to them and see if they have the original drive it came with or a similar sized driver that is larger in capacity

SDH, is correct that running DBAN can make a weird behaving drive stop doing strange things and is recomended to try

if you have a spare system (or the original system if it's not being used)  to run it on

0 Kudos
rod_bunny
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks guys.  I'll try DBAN (or similar) to reset the spare WD HDD to see if that makes a difference.

Cant find any info on WD cyl,sector etc but the  Seagate come outa at slightly larger in capacity going by the cyl,sector,byte calculation... by 30Mb :indifferent:

I'm sure that the issue is related to a setting in the BIOS.  (either available to change or not)

How else would the PC hold information of a drive that is no longer connected to compare the new drive against??

I tried to export the BIOS settings from the PC with v02.01 but that 'feature' doesnt work on v02.01, so I cant compare the replicated BIOS settings to find what changed.  

v02.01 no longer shows as an available BIOS on HP support site, v02.06 is the oldest.

I dont really want to upgrade the BIOS to export the settings, if the newer BIOS breaks the ability to reover to a smaller HDD.:smileywink:

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

when you run the restore program, it reads the bios to determine if a drive(s) is attached and it's reported size

it then compares the reported size to what size is stored in the recovery programs config/settings 

and if either does not have a pass responce the program will stop and spit out a error

0 Kudos
rod_bunny
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If what you say were true... why did the same recovery media restore OK to 250Gb SSDs on the QN089AW?

What 'exactly' is is checking against/for that is failing on the XL510AV but not on the QN089AW?

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i'm a bit confused, by the statement "250Gb SSDs on the QN089AW"

i thought you were talking about two mech hard drives,

one a WD and the other a seagate where does the SSD come into this?

and is it one 250GB ssd or 2 ssd'd in Raid 0

if you look at the files on the restore cd you can sometimes see the config/setup file that the restore program uses to set the programs restore options

not all HP restore disks show this some have it embeded into the restore app itself, or stored in a compressed file that the recovery app reads on startup

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation