Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z440 workstation
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've been given a computer from the company I work for 

The problem is the it department no longer exists and I've just got a kill **bleep** and the 8.1 instoll disc and no help 

I've loaded the kill disc the hp wind popped up so I chose the secure clean option and now I'm stuck on a window that requires a key code but I have no code is there anything I can do lot is the thing trash

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

please use google and search for "install win 8.1 without a key" and you will have several options on how to do so

the HP "OEM" windows 8.1 install disk will not require a key, it should pickup the required key embedded in the HP bios if it does not pick up the key you most likely have a  hp system that was sold with linux and therefore has no valid windows activation information stored in the bios if this is true you need to buy a "Retail" version of win 8 which comes with the required key

and rather than win 8 i would use win 10

you can get HP recovery media based on your HP model/serial using the HP Cloud Recovery program

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/CloudRecovery/crsupportedplatform.html

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

HP Recommended

That is an excellent workstation to get for free.  It will take some work to recover, however.  Do you know the processor type installed?  The ZX40 workstations take the v3 and v4 processors and quite fast memory.  You can throw it out my way if you give up!

What is a kill bleep?

You did a wipe..... it asks for a code.  Can you take a pic of that and post it?  That might be a boot password, for example.  Most of us don't configure our workstations that way but if your IT department had done that for security in the past there is a way to clear the password via a HP-provided method involving a change of a jumper position on the motherboard.

Take a look on the labels on the bottom of the workstation and elsewhere.... usually you can find a reference to a Windows OS if the motherboard is "branded" with a HP Digital Password Key (DPK).  That is what DGroves refers to that is flashed into the firmware in a portion of BIOS that lets the HP installer software know that the workstation is licensed for Windows and thus lets you install from a HP Recovery Disc set or the HP Cloud Recovery system (which is available for the ZX40 family of workstations and up).  Here is a pic from the back of a Z440 proving it is Windows licensed, and there usually is a reference to that fact also in tiny letters along the bottom of another label on the workstation.  It is handy to know that because trying to do the Cloud Recovery method would be a waste of time if it is not Windows licensed:

Proof of Windows key.jpg

HP Recommended

Here is the technical and service maHERE nual you'll want:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04823811

Download that PDF and search for "password" and "jumper".  Page 100 has the details.... if that truly is the issue you are seeing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.