Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

light blinks red twice

Hi all,

"light blinks red twice" is what I get when I attempt to put on one of my systems.   On checking the meaning of the code I find that it means "Processor thermal protection activated".   What is this and how do I resolve it?

The system is HP Dc7700 SFF and is running on Win8.1 (32bit) that is giving the problem.

Please help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Broaden your search.  Turns out quite a few of the higher level business class HP workstations use the same crisis codes as the high level HP workstations do.  Look up the HP standard for two blinks, two beeps.  It makes sense..... how can the processor get too hot?  I'd look at the fan for the processor's heatsink first.

If the fan it not working well then look at both sides of it... one will have the fan's label at its center, and you generally can buy a HP equivalent via eBay or Google search.  Don't get a non-equivalent because that will unbalance your system.  Voice of experience...

HP Recommended

When I saw my PC's red led blink twice i check it with hp error code and I get that red led blinks twice if "Processor thermal protection system activated'' and I didn't see anything about two blink two beep,did you?

When power button press the fan rotate and stop in seconds

HP Recommended

Some HP beep codes overlap, and it appears to depend on the BIOS being used by that PC/workstation.  When I did a search for HP + 2 beeps there is quite a variability in causes.  Are you sure you found the beep codes for your specific HP Business PC?

The rapid shutdown you describe is not due to a fan issue..... it takes some time for a processor and the heatsink plate above it to heat up to a thermal shutdown even if the fan is not plugged in or has failed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.